What's new

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If anyone would like to send a relatively unscratched replacement disc to Australia, I'd be happy to of course pay postage and handling cost. The 4K disc isn't available here, and I'd love to have it, even with the fold-down 'mono'. I can of course remit costs via Paypal.
Cheers

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If anyone would like to send a relatively unscratched replacement disc to Australia, I'd be happy to of course pay postage and handling cost. The 4K disc isn't available here, and I'd love to have it, even with the fold-down 'mono'. I can of course remit costs via Paypal.
Cheers

Shoot me a PM.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just for the record, I would easily purchase and support a Volume Two of 4K/UHD Hitchcock titles; despite the woes of this current and ultimately fixable situation; as the overall is really something that I find to be more than quite fine.

Last edited:

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Well, I popped the replacement disc back into the machine today and it actually loaded this time. Won't need to worry about that again, as, obviously, the mono track is still junk.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good news, everyone. The Digital Bits has heard from Universal regarding the messed up replacement disc.

“To our valued customers:

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment recently instituted a replacement program for consumers who purchased the September 8, 2020 release of Psycho on Blu-ray and 4K UHD included in the Psycho – 60th Anniversary Edition and The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray and 4K UHD discs produced inadvertently omitted Psycho’s original 1960 mono track. Due to an unintended error, certain consumers received a replacement disc from this original batch of discs, instead of the newly corrected version. We have identified those impacted and will be resending the correct version as soon as possible. To receive an updated Psycho disc, please visit the UPHE Support website (https://www.uphe.com/en/contact-support) or directly email [email protected]. If you have already submitted a request for and/or already received a replacement disc, you will receive the corrected one once it is ready – you do not need to submit another request. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.”

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Due to an unintended error, certain consumers received a replacement disc from this original batch of discs, instead of the newly corrected version.
Haven't some reported that the "replacement" discs with the same error have different file dates? That would seem to indicate they replicated the error on new discs, and didn't really correct anything.

Interestingly there's no mention of the shoddy packaging/shipping, either.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
They are trying to make it sound like a shipping issue, but clearly the corrected discs aren't even ready. Oh well, at least they are going to send out another batch. Fingers crossed.

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
I had the misfortune of having 3 sets now with defective films. All 3 sets contained defective Vertigo - approx 48 minutes into the film where Jimmy Stewart is speaking with Kim Novak by the fireplace, either extreme pixelation & macro blocking for 30 seconds to a minute, and one disc I had just froze here, forcing me to skip ahead.

The Birds did not play at all in one set.
Psycho did not play at all in one set.

One set I could not find Vertigo (it was in fact wedged into the same sleeve as Psycho on bluray).

I am hearing now that Universal is reissuing Psycho with the correct Mono Audio....

Honestly, I am at a bit of a loss...I thought Vertigo looked incredible, and I want these on 4K in the worst way...but after losing the UHD lottery so many times in a row, I feel like it might be best to wait for individual releases.

I beg Universal - please stop packaging discs in cardboard sleeves....

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Universal letter; as shared by Bill Hunt and TravisR; is more than good enough for me.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Good news, everyone. The Digital Bits has heard from Universal regarding the messed up replacement disc.

"Those responsible have been sacked."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Last night I streamed The Birds in 4K/HDR, and I agree with others that this is the best it has ever looked. I was particularly impressed with how much more seamlessly live action and rear projection have been blended in this transfer, particularly in the process shots where Tippi is trapped in the phone booth and we see in the background various actions and activities.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Last night I streamed The Birds in 4K/HDR, and I agree with others that this is the best it has ever looked.
In addition to your praise, Matt, I can attest to my 4K/UHD disc of “The Birds” as also being the finest I have ever seen it, to boot.

Meanwhile, with everything now resolving itself, I dare say that Universal has ultimately and contextually produced one of the most satisfying sets of the year. And lest we forget, the 4K/UHD of the Columbia Classics series had also faced their own set of disc replacement woes; to which all had ended well.

Bottom Line:
I have zero regrets on either purchase.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks