What's new

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
FWIW, I received this email on September 30th after I supplied Universal with the information they requested:
—————————
Dear Customer,

Thank you for letting us know your address. A replacement copy will be sent to you within 2-4 weeks.

We value your satisfaction with our products and hope that you will enjoy this and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sorry, but what was released is akin to a Xerox copy of an illuminated manuscript. Wrong version of the film, meant for non-roadshow, 35mm venues. Same story, same cast, different production, and Not the award winner.

The Negative of the version that people may be familiar with today, did not exist until May of 1957, and for which prints were not produced until June.
I was twice taken to AtWiED during my childhood at our neighborhood theater, circa late 1960’s.

I never knew this about the 35mm print; which now means that I’ve never truly seen AtWiED, after all.

With the Todd-Ao version clearly in need of some major TLC, this presentation must ultimately be showcased, all over again.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was twice taken to AtWiED during my childhood at our neighborhood theater, circa late 1960’s.

I never knew this about the 35mm print; which now means that I’ve never truly seen AtWiED, after all.

With the Todd-Ao version clearly in need of some major TLC, this presentation must ultimately be showcased, all over again.
I’m not certain about showcasing.

80 Days is a magnificent technical achievement, but not a wonderful film. It has numerous beautiful moments, but especially today, where the majority of the cameos will go unrecognized, it’s a difficult sell, except in specialized large format rep.

That other wonderful technical achievement, HTWWW, the one with three panels, works today from both the technical, as well as the entertainment factors, and could be played for tourists.

That noted, 80 should absolutely be saved, but I have no facts at hand that indicate that possibility.

Both films should be seen, as intended. But as I said, one doesn’t exist.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Answers such as this serve only to remind us all to never take for granted those precious films that have found their fortune in being saved. And since this thread is about 4 Hitchcock films that have been preserved, restored and even graduated to the 4K/UHD format, I send to you my thanks and gratitude for your masterful work on “Rear Window” and “Vertigo”.

Last edited:

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Word on the street is that the Psycho replacement discs are going out and are still incorrect (with the folded down remix instead of the original mono mix). Apparently the labels are new but the disc content is exactly the same. Kind of hard to believe. Bill Hunt is reporting on Twitter that Universal has been made aware of the situation.

Last edited:

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I received my replacement discs today via FedEx. I haven't sampled the discs yet but I was very upset to find that both the UHD and Blu Ray discs were simply thrown loose together inside an oversized brown paper envelope with absolutely no protection...both discs are riddled with scratches.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I received my replacement discs today via FedEx. I haven't sampled the discs yet but I was a bit upset to find that both the UHD and Blu Ray discs were simply thrown loose together inside an oversized brown paper envelope with absolutely no protection...both discs are riddled with scratches.
Nothing but the best for a disc with “folded-down” sound.

But seriously, Universal, how ‘bout a bit of respectful decorum when mailing out our purchase and product.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I’ve been procrastinating on sending in my request for the replacement disc. Maybe I should procrastinate a little longer?

• Insightful

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Just sampled the Psycho Blu Ray replacement disc. The replacement Blu Ray disc's original mono audio option is different from the one on the faulty Blu Ray disc that was included in the recent boxset: a consistent 384 Kbps on the new replacement disc vs 447 Kbps on the faulty boxset disc.

I still need to sample the Psycho UHD replacement disc to verify if the original mono audio option has also been changed/corrected.

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Did anyone have fo sign for their FED ex envelope with loose discs?! I got a message from FED EX mine should deliver Mon. Says Direct Signature required like wtf.

This is a mess from other forums sounds like the 4K Audio is the same fold down mono audio with the added sound effects.

• Sad

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Did anyone have fo sign for their FED ex envelope with loose discs?! I got a message from FED EX mine should deliver Mon. Says Direct Signature required like wtf.

This is a mess from other forums sounds like the 4K Audio is the same fold down mono audio with the added sound effects.
Mine’s coming tomorrow and it says direct signature required. I believe during the pandemic drivers are allowed to sign for you if you leave a note. Mine does.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I wrote this at another forum on Wednesday.
I received the replacements, an UHD and a blu-ray of Psycho, today (October 28th) from Universal in Sweden.
However, they seem to be same as the ones I already got...
First, the squeak is still there when she turns the knob/faucet to turn on the water in shower. That foley sound is not there in the original sound mx.
Second, my panasonic 820 asked me if should RESUME when I put the UHD in...

I did not compare the whole movie, just some in the middle but here are some things to identify the downmix so you can check if you received the real thing or not...
- when Marion and Norman sit and talk, Norman's chair creaks when he leans back and forth.
- when Marion is entering the shower/bathtub, you hear faint crickets in the background
- when Norman is opening/closing doors, there are often missing foley of the doors closing, especially when it happens out of view.
- when Marion turns the knob/faucet to turn on the water in shower, there is a small squeak sound
- when Norman turns the knob/faucet to turn off the water in shower, there is a small squeak sound

Britton

Screenwriter
Loose disc in a mailer? WTF. I might have to wait for corrected sets to hit the market or a more widespread release of Psycho beyond the BB Steelbook Exclusive.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, which is it for God's sake. Normandie says it's different and fixed, most others are saying it's not. This isn't brain surgery and has nothing to do with kbps - it has to do with SOUND and the correct mono mix. Let's not have confusion here - it's either been fixed or it hasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks