What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The 39 Steps -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by AlanPaterson /t/321713/a-few-words-about-the-39-steps-in-blu-ray#post_3941586
I was once distracted by someone talking to me as I finished a rather long 16mm edit on a Steenbeck editing table. It had grown to around 2000 feet in length and I absent mindedly picked the film up by its edges instead of lifting the metal platter underneath it. The plastic core dropped out of the centre and most of the film unravelled itself on to the floor with me left holding on to the outer 2 inch thick band of film. Luckily it was only a cutting copy but no matter how hard you try, you can never get the film back on its core and to wind back in place without cutting it.
Funny how you never forget these things.
Alan

"What's the trick, then..."

The trick is to put the film back by winding it on a smaller core.

RAH

Real Name
Alan Paterson
I could never find a smaller core when I was looking for one. :)
We had loads too! All the same size! I tried several other companies on site in the studio and they all smiled that knowing smile when I asked for a small core.
I ended up winding it all by hand, cutting the film then marking up a false splice in wax pencil where the film was joined together again.
I suspect someone might have hidden the smaller cores, just to teach me a lesson I'd never forget.
There were people around like that in those days. Perverts is what I used to call them.
Alan
PS - If you know of anyone about to take delivery of a new print, fresh from the Lab, let me know as I'd love to be there to inhale the smell when the can is opened.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The real world detail of this release seems to be about the same as a DVD. Grain is better resolved, though, and grading is improved.
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=1136#auswahl

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Time to pick up the HItchcock Criterion blu rays!!
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Barnes__Noble/HD_Deals/Criterion/Get_Ready_for_Barnes__Nobles_Summer_Criterion_Sale__/9749

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Picked this one up yesterday with the 50 percent of Criterion sale, and watched it tonight. Based on the cover with the helicopter, I was expecting a scene like the cropduster in NbyNW. I was surprised when the helicopter in question kept its distance.
Other than that mistaken impression, the thing that stood out to me most was the pacing. This is only 86 minutes long, and it moves at a breakneck pace -- especially for a 1935 picture. The film progresses relentlessly, only stopping to catch its breath on a handful of occasions.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Adam Lenhardt said:
Picked this one up yesterday with the 50 percent of Criterion sale, and watched it tonight. Based on the cover with the helicopter, I was expecting a scene like the cropduster in NbyNW. I was surprised when the helicopter in question kept its distance.
Other than that mistaken impression, the thing that stood out to me most was the pacing. This is only 86 minutes long, and it moves at a breakneck pace -- especially for a 1935 picture. The film progresses relentlessly, only stopping to catch its breath on a handful of occasions.
Cool. I picked it up as well, but have not watched it yet. Looking forward to it.
I also picked up Criterion's The Lady Vanishes blu ray at the 50% off sale.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
It was your first time viewing it then? I haven't watched my disc yet, but I picked it up first thing on Tuesday. It is a great, fun ride, isn't it?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DavidJ said:
It was your first time viewing it then? I haven't watched my disc yet, but I picked it up first thing on Tuesday. It is a great, fun ride, isn't it?
Yes it was, and yes it is. It's a shame Robert Donat's health limited him to such a comparatively thin filmography, because he was a great leading man here and I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen him in.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I wonder if Criterion will ever release any other early British-era Hitchcock films? I'd love to have a decent quality edition of the '34 version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much."

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Allansfirebird /t/321713/a-few-words-about-the-39-steps-in-blu-ray#post_3948927
I wonder if Criterion will ever release any other early British-era Hitchcock films? I'd love to have a decent quality edition of the '34 version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much."
They've already released their blu-ray edition of "The Lady Vanishes"...don't know if they're working on the title you've specified, but I'd love for them to do it!!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In addition to the two we're talking about, some of Criterion's earliest laserdisc releases included Blackmail and (I think) Young and Innocent. I agree, it sure would be great to see more of those from them.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Chas in CT said:
In addition to the two we're talking about, some of Criterion's earliest laserdisc releases included Blackmail and (I think) Young and Innocent.  I agree, it sure would be great to see more of those from them.
All of Criterion's Hitchcock Laserdiscs:
Blackmail
The 39 Steps
Sabotage
Secret Agent
Young and Innocent
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Notorious
North by Northwest

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've had this Criterion sitting on my shelf for a little while, since one of the more recent sales, and finally watched it last night. It was the first time I'd seen it. It's a great film, and it looks better than any 85 year old movie has any right to. (This is why film preservation is important.)

You can see the elements that Hitchcock would use in his later films here, and they are just as effective. I was surprised to learn that the film has been remade a few times.

Now I'm looking forward to getting into the extras (always a pleasure with Criterion) and the essay (also one of the great things about their releases).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks