What's new

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Each transfer gets gradually darker, in this screen grab you can clearly see that cat puppet, but with the blu-ray grab the puppet almost blends in with the sky.

View attachment 103014

View attachment 103015

The pillar boxed screenshot is the Blu-Ray. That's the one with all the detail missing.

The big issue is that a number of cartoons look WORSE than they did on the old Laserdisc and TV broadcast. What excuse is there for that?

That's not something caused by the elements, as Robert Harris tried to suggest. It's also not something I think many here would abide on a live-action Warner Archive release. Can you imagine what would happen if they put out, say, The Harvey Girls or Show Boat looking like this?

Last edited:

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Here's your (probable) answer:

Avery_2.jpg

Somewhere along the line, someone wasn't watching their data scopes. The black levels are severely clipped which accounts for the lack of details in the shadows. The flat top on the green histogram is questionable and the red gamma looks to be low.

Disclaimer: Since this was taken from the screen shot posted above, rather than the disc itself and then imported into DaVinci Resolve, I can't authoritatively state that what you see here accurately represents what's on the disc.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Here's your (probable) answer:

View attachment 103055

Somewhere along the line, someone wasn't watching their data scopes. The black levels are severely clipped which accounts for the lack of details in the shadows. The flat top on the green histogram is questionable and the red gamma looks to be low.

Disclaimer: Since this was taken from the screen shot posted above, rather than the disc itself and then imported into DaVinci Resolve, I can't authoritatively state that what you see here accurately represents what's on the disc.

Very good explanation. Thank you.

Definitely doesn't deserve a 4.5 out of 5, since live-action releases have been severely docked for less than this.

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
Loved Volume 1, will buy Vol 2 solely for the presence of this short:

vlcsnap-2020-12-17-19h43m55s815.jpg

Thanks for sharing it @ThadK !

Seeing this one made me feel like a kid again -as did the "...of Tomorrow" shorts. Loved them!

After viewing the Tex Avery, Loony Toons, and Tom & Jerry shorts again after all these years, and seeing some comments about maybe Woody Woodpecker coming down the road, I have a question about a favorite short of mine that I haven't been able to find anything about online. In this short, a family of bears gets involved in some shenanigans, and the dad has high blood pressure, having to count to 10 every time he gets angry. Anyone remember that one? I thought it could be Andy Panda but I'm not sure.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I have a question about a favorite short of mine that I haven't been able to find anything about online. In this short, a family of bears gets involved in some shenanigans, and the dad has high blood pressure, having to count to 10 every time he gets angry. Anyone remember that one?
Five Warner cartoons directed by Chuck Jones. Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears (1944); What's Brewin', Bruin? (1948); The Bee-Deviled Bruin (1949); Bear Feat (1949); A Bear for Punishment (1951). All a riot, the last one the funniest, IMHO ("But Henry...")

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally catching up with this volume. Tex Avery's quite surreal approach to animation can still amuse and bring some laughs. My rating: B+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks