What's new

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
...is "The Garden Gopher" (1950) truly uncut on this set? I ask because it was previously edited (probably by accident since it might have been a TV transfer used) to remove a blackface gag on the Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc set..

The gag is present in full on the Blu-Ray.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Have you been able to catch A LITTLE ROMANCE? It came out with this batch of WB Archive titles. Just wondering what you thought of the blu ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Have you been able to catch A LITTLE ROMANCE? It came out with this batch of WB Archive titles. Just wondering what you thought of the blu ray.

I have. Looks and sounds great. A sweet little film, that doesn’t seem to make great use of Sir Laurence, but introduces us to to wonderful, new young talent, 13 year-old Diane Lane, in her first role.

Anne Coates once told me, while cutting Unfaithful, that she was a wonderfully talented actor, and a pleasure to cut, as she has the technical ability to repeat her physical moves over multiple takes and camera positions, so that she virtually always matches. A rare talent.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
@dana martin, put me down as another that would love to have these Universal holdings in HD.

d2561039-6b87-4aaf-b0c3-90a0c69c1fcd_1.49c129ac50211c89f27973c1d67c6ce1.jpeg

Well, Kino now has a new 200-title deal with Universal...I wonder if they could snag this?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I played a few cartoons for some family I was visiting (Who Killed Who?, Dumb-Hounded, Lonesome Lenny, Wags to Riches, Daredevil Droopy, and Symphony in Slang). Lots of exclamations about how great they look and sound, from ones who normally aren't that tuned into the technical side.

I've always believed remastering and restoration brings out a lot of details. This is the first time I've noticed Scott Bradley uses "If I Only Had A Brain" as a motif in Lonesome Lenny's score.

garypleace

Auditioning
Real Name
telecineman

That does not sound to me like "distorted audio noise reduction". It
sounds like the normal distortion inherent in most optical tracks of the era, possibly compounded by whoever mastered the audio trying to push up the mid-high frequencies and the fact that these were probably mastered without the Academy roll-off. I thought "Symphony" sounded better than the other two previews - it has a more rounded frequency response with a bit more bottom. I thought "Red Hot..." and "Daredevil..." sounded somewhat thin and distorted. "Red Hot..." is understandable because it was released in 1943. "Daredevil.." and "Symphony..." were released in 1951 and might have originally had the audio recorded on mag tracks (not on the prints), but I suspect those mag tracks are long gone, so the audio is coming from a print.

Decades ago, I used to get 16mm prints from the library and I'd output the projector sound to my stereo system. I found it sounded best when I would roll-off the high end, just the opposite of what one would think it needs.
Got the Bluray set and am currently relaying the audio on a fair few with Audacity and rolling-off the high-end. Red Hot Riding Hood, all the Screwy Squirrels and the worst offender for me so far, What's Buzzin' Buzzard. Much easier on the ears now!

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish
I played a few cartoons for some family I was visiting (Who Killed Who?, Dumb-Hounded, Lonesome Lenny, Wags to Riches, Daredevil Droopy, and Symphony in Slang). Lots of exclamations about how great they look and sound, from ones who normally aren't that tuned into the technical side.

I've always believed remastering and restoration brings out a lot of details. This is the first time I've noticed Scott Bradley uses "If I Only Had A Brain" as a motif in Lonesome Lenny's score.
It's interesting, too, that an instrumental version of "Singin' in the Rain" plays in the background as Big Chief Rain-In-Face first appears in the cartoon. The song was performed in the MGM film, "The Hollywood Revue of 1929", 13 years before the Gene Kelly "Singin' in the Rain" film.

My review of the Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 1 Blu-ray:
https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Tex-Avery-Screwball-Classics-Volume-1-Blu-ray-Review

Marshall

Last edited:

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish
Jerry Beck was the guest on the Stu's Show podcast yesterday. Jerry said there definitely will be a Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 2 Blu-ray released this year, before Christmas. So, sales must be good. He said there might be bonus features this time, and have more cartoons than the 19 on Volume 1. He hinted at, but didn't say it, that the remaining Screwy Squirrel cartoon, Happy-Go-Nutty, would be on this set. He didn't mention specific titles in Volume 2, other than the hinted at film.

Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tourist 1962
Recent bookmarks