What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Tenebrae -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've been told that Dario Argento's Tenebrae, was the result of family members, "requesting" that he return to the giallo, and that return was a very different taken on the genre.

In typical Synapse fashion, funds have been accorded to bring a film back as close to perfection as possible, inclusive here of additional shots not seen elsewhere.

Everything is correct with this release, from color and black levels to resolution and shadow detail. The imagery is as clean as one might wish, and audio is as well.

For those who collect those tin boxes, 3,000 units have been produced, and that's it.

A very high quality Blu-ray, positioned with special packaging, for those who love the genre.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I pre-ordered this one on RAH's earlier notice, and am delighted with it. This is a reminder to take it for another spin.

With this one and Arrow's "Deep Red", I'm getting back into and enjoying the Argento giallos in a way that goes beyond however I was "thrilled" by them back in the day. Lots of fun to be had here, with a unique blend of eye and ear candy. And I'm always happy to support Synapse when I can.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have never spent this much on a BD or DVD single film release, but as an Argento fan I feel it was worth it in this case -- recognizing this was a limited release of a niche title. I'll be interested in Suspiria and/or Phenomena, too, but wish Synapse would forgo the metal case to reduce the cost a little.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The other Blu-rays have a slight greenish cast that Synapse corrected out. I think the color looks better on the Synapse personally, but the difference in color timing is pretty subtle, unlike the DEMONS films which were extensively color corrected in comparison.

Vincent

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
The Demons films from Synapse were superb............but this somehow just does not look right (never noticed a green cast on the French/UK release either to be honest).

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The Demons films from Synapse were superb............but this somehow just does not look right (never noticed a green cast on the French/UK release either to be honest).

Do you have the disc or are you going by screenshots alone?

Vincent

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I have the Arrow disc. Is the Synapse movie in some way different to what the Caps A Holic comparisons show and they ( Caps A Holic ) have it wrong?

All I am saying is the colour looks boosted (over cooked) in the Synapse version.

Last edited:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The color timing is subtly different on the Synapse but it's not nearly as drastic as the DEMONS differences is what I'm saying. I personally find the subtle color differences to the Synapse more pleasing, although on the whole the overall "look" is not drastically different between the two, and I disagree that the subtle Synapse adjustments result in it being "overcooked".

Where the Synapse release really shines are the hundreds (thousands?) or DNR artifacts they had manually fixed, and the inclusion of the rare English insert shots. Barring a new 4K negative scan, I think this is the best and most complete TENEBRAE that will be available in HD for quite some time.

Vincent

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
The color timing is subtly different on the Synapse but it's not nearly as drastic as the DEMONS differences is what I'm saying. I personally find the subtle color differences to the Synapse more pleasing, although on the whole the overall "look" is not drastically different between the two, and I disagree that the subtle Synapse adjustments result in it being "overcooked".

Where the Synapse release really shines are the hundreds (thousands?) or DNR artifacts they had manually fixed, and the inclusion of the rare English insert shots. Barring a new 4K negative scan, I think this is the best and most complete TENEBRAE that will be available in HD for quite some time.

Vincent

The colour and transfer on the Demons release is exemplary.

If you look at the grabs on Caps you look can quite clearly see the unnatural colour pallet with some shots the colour seeming to be over cooked (take a look at the guys shirt in the cap I linked to).
I never noticed in DNR on the Arrow Blu to be honest, but I think Synapse did remove scratches, dirt etc that was present on the Arrow release.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The colour and transfer on the Demons release is exemplary.

If you look at the grabs on Caps you look can quite clearly see the unnatural colour pallet with some shots the colour seeming to be over cooked (take a look at the guys shirt in the cap I linked to).
I never noticed in DNR on the Arrow Blu to be honest, but I think Synapse did remove scratches, dirt etc that was present on the Arrow release.

We're just going to disagree about the color, and Synapse didn't remove "scratches, dirt etc."- the Wild Side master which was also used by Arrow was LOADED with automated scratch-removal/DNR artifacts, and Synapse spent a pretty penny having them manually painted out since the licensor wouldn't allow a new scan and Synapse had to work with the existing master. They didn't get all of them, but they fixed the bulk of them. This is detailed in the booklet that comes with their release. Here's a link to an image of one of the most egregious of the errors on the original master: http://www.landofwhimsy.com/hdcaptures/tenebre19.jpg

Vincent

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
As you say we will have to disagree about the colour, everything else I concur is better than the previous releases.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Earlier today, Synapse posted on their facebook page that they only had around 470 copies left. So if you haven't ordered this yet, you might want to do it soon.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'll tell you what. I put this on around 11:30 at night, expecting to watch about half of it, then hit the hay. Glued to my television, I took in the whole damned thing.

I absolutely cannot wait for Suspiria.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I watched this projected in 35mm in a packed theater in New York City in March 2015 (the same print Synapse scanned the English insert shots from), and it worked beautifully to that full crowd. I really think it's probably Argento's best film.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks