What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
These few words are way in advance of the release, but I've asked, and am permitted to share them.

I've just viewed the new Suspiria 4k via a Samsung 128gb thumb drive, which is slightly smaller than a flea.

But it's all on there.

Inclusive of HDR 10 and Dolby Atmos.

Compared to the Synapse Blu-ray, the colors pop even more, black levels are rich and pure, with gorgeous highlights.

The track is properly huge, and now even more so with Dolby Atmos.

A magnificent restoration of a beloved film.

I'm going to bet that 19 Nov can't arrive quickly enough for fans.

And one more reason to make the move to 4k!

Image – 5 (HDR 10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - A necessity!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Paul Watters

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Watters
I have to ask the obvious question - are you in a position to comment on a comparison between the new Synapse color corrected UHD and the TLE restoration from the UK/IT/DE disc?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Since I live in Norway, I had to purchase the previous Synapse blu ray via DiabolikDVD for a whopping $74.37, including shipping, + an extra $25 in customs and import charges. The new 4K UHD disc will cost me $51.53 ++. I commend Synapse for delving into 4K territory, but if they start doing like Lionsgate and release 4K discs a couple of years after I've purchased the blu-rays, then I won't be double-dipping, thank you very much.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Since I live in Norway, I had to purchase the previous Synapse blu ray via DiabolikDVD for a whopping $74.37, including shipping, + an extra $25 in customs and import charges. The new 4K UHD disc will cost me $51.53 ++. I commend Synapse for delving into 4K territory, but if they start doing like Lionsgate and release 4K discs a couple of years after I've purchased the blu-rays, then I won't be double-dipping, thank you very much.

For whatever it's worth, I can tell you that Synapse was not in a position to release the film in 4k, day and date with the Blu-ray. They're a small boutique firm, and spent nearly a year getting the Blu-ray prepared properly.

They go for perfection, and a 4k was not in the cards at that time.

This is not double dipping.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I know it can cost more importing certain titles, but this for sure is NOT a normal releasing of a 4K disc after a couple years after the BLU.

Synapse put so much work and effort into their restoration. The work they did on the original 4.0 audio mix alone was massive!

They are doing the release correct, even splurging on a Dolby Atmos mix that is icing on the cake.

Many aren’t fans of Atmos upgrades but the fact we also get original audio mixes everyone wins! It is truly how all major studios should release their films on 4K. Sony is one of the few that are great about it.

Only wish Warner Bros would include original Stereo audio tracks and HD Mono tracks (varying on the release of each title and original audio format)

Synapse deserve to sell as many copies of this 4K disc as possible.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Dang it, Robert. I was going to pass on this, but you've yet to steer me wrong with your thoughts on particular releases. Looks like I'm going to have to start selling some plasma so I can order it. At least there are free cookies involved with that. ;)

Paul Watters

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Watters
According to all the sales chat at the time of the blu-ray release, the Synapse/Tovoli transfer was representative of the original theatrical presentation.

But wait...according to Don, "We went back to the original 4K files and basically started over, reconfiguring the theatrical DCI-P3 color space for UHD’s expanded color palette and utilized high dynamic range".

So...is this release the "goes up to eleven" version of the theatrical presentation...? Theatrical+

Also, couldn't help but notice that, right before this week's announcement, one very vocal player in the 2017 Synapse This Is The Absolute Definitive Version of Suspiria Forever™ game removed himself from Facebook.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dang it, Robert. I was going to pass on this, but you've yet to steer me wrong with your thoughts on particular releases. Looks like I'm going to have to start selling some plasma so I can order it. At least there are free cookies involved with that. ;)
Yeah, I bit on this too and ordered it through DVD Diabolik. My Synapse BD is up for sale. I'm a big fan of Argento's work, and this may be the only film of his that gets released in 4K, so I decided to splurge.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I’m getting this even though I have the last, amazing edition because (a) I’m a mad-man and (b) I support the incredible effort and love put into this and, finally, (c) Suspiria is an amazing film. Truly amazing.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
As a film purist why do we need a revisionist Atmos for Suspiria? And if another technology later comes out do we then rush out get to buy another sonically changed version and trash this? Temember when DTS considered the end all?
This reminds me of the Dolbyized Vertigo which I can’t stand but at least there you got the original tracks included but when it’s screened it only show up with Dolby. Which brings me to wonder does Vertigo Atmos come next?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
As a film purist why do we need a revisionist Atmos for Suspiria? And if another technology later comes out do we then rush out get to buy another sonically changed version and trash this? Temember when DTS considered the end all?
This reminds me of the Dolbyized Vertigo which I can’t stand but at least there you got the original tracks included but when it’s screened it only show up with Dolby. Which brings me to wonder does Vertigo Atmos come next?
I mean, we don't need it. In the case of Suspiria, especially, the original surround track is legendarily good. With that said, the original track isn't going anywhere and a well-done Atmos track, which I'm certain this one will be given the care put into the restoration and Blu-ray release, can certainly enhance the experience for those who enjoy the option. Not every film can benefit from an Atmos remix, but Suspiria is one where robust surround sound is an integral part of the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is the future of physical media. Smaller quantities at higher prices. The masses aren’t subsidizing the hobbyists anymore, so if you want something on a disc vs on a stream as part of a subscription, it’s going to cost more. If people pay the higher prices, then physical media will survive as a niche format. If people reject the higher prices, it’s more likely that physical releases will simply cease rather than coming down in price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks