What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Superman Returns -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'll stop buying SD DVD's & HD Discs till they get it "right"!!!

Yeah, my Wal(ly)mart, Worlds largest retailer, doesn't carry HD Discs ether, maybe next week. However, Target does!!!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From what I have read, the SD version looks horrible. Glad I have the HD version coming.:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, I've been away from the HTF for over a week and really wanted to be one of the first here to give a quick review of my favorite movie going experience this year....but unfortunately none of the local retailers had it (only have Target & Wal mart here :frowning:)....so I went ahead and ordered thru amazon. Should arrive Monday. :)

Great to get the seal of approval from Mr. Robert Harris. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought the following Superman movies from Buy.com through the Google Checkout which has $20 off every order $50 or more.

Superman the Movie purchased with The Interpreter (HD DVD) and another SD-DVD title for an average price of $11.46 for each title. I then purchase Superman II and Superman Returns on the same order for an average price between the two titles of $16.91. Sure, the latter order just shipped on Thursday, but I have so many other titles that I haven't watch yet so my days of having to get releases on the first day of release are long over with. Competitive pricing for my dollars is more of an issue with me now. Also, I used the free shipping option, it takes longer, but I usually get the discs 5-6 days after shipping.

Crawdaddy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the heads up on that Robert, I'll check it out for future title purchases.

We too are watching our spending, we want to buy a 2nd house for rental property in the next couple of years so we are saving towards that. Also, it's that time of the year to renew our Disneyland annual passes, for the 3 of us that's almost $1k. So, my HD-DVD purchases are slim, very slim. I can do with the cheaper SD-DVDs considering what we want and will be buying soon.

We just watched this, I was impressed, a very good film, much better then what I thought it would be, I liked the kid a SM. At times when playing Clark he was very Christopher Reeve like.

Oh, and the SD-DVD was far from horrible on my 85" screen.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I thought the SD version was visually awful on the darker scenes and underwater scenes on my SXRD. I'm beginning to think the SXRD does not do dark DVDs very well. I was shocked how poor the transfer looked. And this is via a Denon 3910 using a bettercables HDMI to the SXRD which is calibrated.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this movie in the future via HD-DVD (I'm getting the XBOX add-on at Xmas).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hopefully this time 2moro night I will have watched my favorite movie of the year! Superman Returns in HD-DVD...:) Amazon says delivery Dec. 4.....Please Lord, I've been reasonably good this year. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Superman Returns on HD-DVD did arrive earlier today and I had a great time seeing this again. :)

I thought the image was excellent overall....I did notice some very slight noise on a few shots but this was slight. The color palette chosen is a bit flat compared to other films and this is how I remembered it in theaters. It is softer than say Batman Begins but again this softness was present in the theater.

The audio simply rocks. Clean, dynamic, and atmospheric. The wonderful score really comes through with it's presence and it's glorious. Superman Returns is certainly among the HD-DVDs one can pull out to WOW someone.

My favorite film of 2006 is now a great HD-DVD. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks