What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Strategic Air Command -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who know their film formats, there's a very specific "look," especially for early VistaVision productions.

If that "look" is missing, be it on a new print, or any video format, something is amiss.

Waiting for Olive's new Blu-ray of Anthony Mann's 1955 Vista production, to hit my screen, I was hoping that the necessary "look" would be in evidence.

And it was. In spades.

While this James Stewart / June Allyson (yes, their married on-screen again) starrer still entertains, it more important attribute is from a technical perspective, which is extremely important for a film that actually hit screens in 8-perf VistaVision and Perspecta sound.

Color and densities are generally superb, as is resolution, with an accurate appearing grain structure. Blues are important her, as they can represent fade, and they seem fine.

The only true fade that I noted was in 35/4 photography, which should have been able to be attended to. A minor point, and affected only in those areas where a Vista camera was either felt endanger or would not fit. Some models seem to have been shot in 35/4,

While I would have preferred to have heard the original audio (in this case Perspecta), there are numerous reasons why it may not have been used, the most probable -- it no longer exists. That point made, the monaural track is fine.

Strategic Air Command is a beautifully produced film, and should appeal to Stewart completists, technical devotees, and those with an interest in aircraft.

As asides, viewers should be aware that Mr. Stewart enlisted in the Air Corps , serving as a pilot in WWII, the first major star to join the military for the war effort. He wasn't simply playing a pilot in his aircraft scenes. He knew what it was all about.

His character, a third basemen for the St. Louis Cardinals, "Dutch" Holland, is drafted back into service for SAC. The basis is found in the life of Ted Williams, who after service in WWII, was brought back into uniform during the Korean conflict, taking away some of what would have been his best years in baseball.

Bottom line -- it's a Blu-ray winner.

Image - 4.95

Audio - 4 (lowered due to info that orig tracks survive, but not used)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes! I am very glad to see the Recommended in your review. I was purchasing this anyway, as it is one I really enjoy, but to read your review makes me extremely excited to get this one!

Only correction: Ted Williams was born in 1918, so I think you may have missed an "I" there. Regardless, good information that I wasn't aware of.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes! I am very glad to see the Recommended in your review. I was purchasing this anyway, as it is one I really enjoy, but to read your review makes me extremely excited to get this one!

Only correction: Ted Williams was born in 1918, so I think you may have missed an "I" there. Regardless, good information that I wasn't aware of.
It would be a neat trick for a pilot to participate in WWI then skip WWII and pilot jets in the Korean War.;)

By the way, Amazon is currently selling this BD title for $12.99

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Correction made. Thank you!

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I'm very pleasantly surprised by your review RAH, I really wasn't expecting this.... Ordering today!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
One dramatic use of Perspecta stereo in this film: when the plane engines rev up, the sound goes from center channel at normal level to all three speakers at top gain. It's quite impressive and one of the most effective uses of gain control with the system.

Universal mixed THIS ISLAND EARTH in very much the same way. When the jet buzzes the tower in reel one, all three speakers go from total silence to top volume and it rocks you in your seat!

Perspecta stereo gets a bad rap from people that have never heard it properly. I was very close with Robert Eberenz, the chief engineer at Fine Recording in New York. He restored an original Fairchild integrator for me back in the 1990's and I've heard dozens of Perspecta tracks on original 35mm prints. When mixed properly, the system was quite impressive.

We met with Paramount's archival team circa 1995 and offered to restore all of their optical Perspecta masters and provide new three-channel masters.

They declined.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not Stewart's biggest fan but as noted on another thread on the HTF, I am a huge June Allyson fan so your review has me pumped up. I was always going to purchase it anyway but now it will be sooner than later.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Perspecta-4.17.54.jpgweb.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I was fully expecting a low score on this but am pleasantly surprised. I think perhaps the "4 (lowered due to info that orig tracks exist but not used)" belongs on the audio rating and not the 4K Up-rez rating.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
First let me say that I am really ecstatic that Strategic Ari Command has turned out like this - I expected soemthing on the level of The Grass is Greener!

For me an Anthony Mann / Jimmy Stewart collaboration shot in VistaVision and brought to Blu-ray in very good quality is a dream come true, can't wait to get my disc!

Strategic Air Command is a beautifully produced film, and should appeal to Stewart completists, technical devotees, and those with an interest in aircraft.

I'd like to add a must have for Anthony Mann completists, especially with many of his best looking movies being released only in substandard quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks