What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm going through the movies and all the special features so I'm only up to ROTJ. Seeing the on-set footage and the documentaries made back at the time of the movies has been a nostalgic joy.

I didn't rewatch the extras. I watched the extras not on the prior BDs or DVDs but nothing I'd seen before.

I got reviews to write, man - I ain't got time to rewatch that stuff! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't rewatch the extras. I watched the extras not on the prior BDs or DVDs but nothing I'd seen before.

I got reviews to write, man - I ain't got time to rewatch that stuff! :D
I realized that I hadn't watched probably 95% of the special features since the set came out in 2011 so between that and not having a job, I figured what the hell.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’d put Jedi in the middle tier of “mostly watchable but not really very good” SW movies along with Sith, The Force Awakens, and Solo. Empire, New Hope and The Last Jedi are the only ones that I’d objectively call “good.” I’d add Rogue One if I’m being generous. Clones, Menace and Rise of Skywalker are awful and basically unwatchable.
If you think Rise of Skywalker is unwatchable aren't you wasting your time making multiple posts in this thread? We get it, you didn't like it and you're welcome to your opinion, but stop thread crapping with multiple posts expressing that same opinion.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I realized that I hadn't watched probably 95% of the special features since the set came out in 2011 so between that and not having a job, I figured what the hell.

I might copy the commentaries to listen to "on the go" and screen them again. I recall that I liked them and would enjoy hearing them!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The cast and crew tracks (which I assume are mostly assembled from interviews for The Empire Of Dreams doc) are really good because you get a large variety of people on both sides of the camera.

To make it clear: I did listen to them previously. Just haven't heard them in a while! :)

Mark VH

Second Unit
If you think Rise of Skywalker is unwatchable aren't you wasting your time making multiple posts in this thread? We get it, you didn't like it and you're welcome to your opinion, but stop thread crapping with multiple posts expressing that same opinion.

I guess two technically counts as "multiple," but given that I was responding to an earlier post re: Jedi it felt in bounds. Also I hadn't realized that offering dissenting opinions on the film the thread is discussing isn't allowed. I saw lots of people doing it in the Parasite thread. Why is it that giving negative opinions about Star Wars movies is suddenly off limits?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess two technically counts as "multiple," but given that I was responding to an earlier post re: Jedi it felt in bounds. Also I hadn't realized that offering dissenting opinions on the film the thread is discussing isn't allowed. I saw lots of people doing it in the Parasite thread. Why is it that giving negative opinions about Star Wars movies is suddenly off limits?
Please, don't go there! I told you I had no issues with you expressing your opinion. However, I do have a problem if people are expressing the same negative opinion multiple times in the same thread that is not a movie critique thread. Why are you wasting your time in a 4K/UHD thread involving a movie you dislike so much?

Mark VH

Second Unit
Please, don't go there! I told you I had no issues with you expressing your opinion. However, I do have a problem if people are expressing the same negative opinion multiple times in the same thread that is not a movie critique thread. Why are you wasting your time in a 4K/UHD thread involving a movie you dislike so much?

I expressed my opinion on Rise of Skywalker exactly once in this thread.

And I'm "wasting my time" because I feel strongly about Star Wars and am disappointed the movie wasn't better. One can feel strongly about a film without liking it. Dissent is a good thing! Again, I saw lots of it in the Parasite thread, to give a recent example. Also, pick any recent Terrence Malick film and you'll see people expressing negative opinions about how "boring" it is in a given thread about it. Are they thread crapping? Do I have to like a film to post in a thread about it?

Either way, I've said my piece and don't feel the need to say anything more about it, so I won't.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I expressed my opinion on Rise of Skywalker exactly once in this thread.

And I'm "wasting my time" because I feel strongly about Star Wars and am disappointed the movie wasn't better. One can feel strongly about a film without liking it. Dissent is a good thing! Again, I saw lots of it in the Parasite thread, to give a recent example. Also, pick any recent Terrence Malick film and you'll see people expressing negative opinions about how "boring" it is in a given thread about it. Are they thread crapping? Do I have to like a film to post in a thread about it?

Either way, I've said my piece and don't feel the need to say anything more about it, so I won't.
If you're done then I'm done as I said my piece too.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
@Robert Crawford it's a similar variant to what I posted in a different SW thread:
I wonder, outside of the Star Wars franchises, is there another set of movies where so many people drop into a home video release announcement thread just to say how much they hate/aren't going to buy it?

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely respect peoples' right to like/dislike any film. But that's usually hashed out in the Movie Thread of that particular title. But this franchise seems to inspire people to drop into home video release threads just to say how much they disliked the film and won't be buying it. To what end, I'm not sure. To continue voicing their displeasure at any outlet? In hopes they might dissuade someone who liked the film from buying the BD/4K release (little chance of that, I'm afraid).

Just an interesting phenomenon/observation.
In that thread I noted it was because one might be trying to talk someone out of buying a home video release (and again fat chance of that happening, as peoples' mindsets about these films are pretty set, one way or the other). I think for this thread it's partially the same rationale of wanting to talk someone out of buying it (again, little chance). And also to try to get people to change their minds regarding the quality of the film (about the same chance of success).

But this phenomenon is strongly correlated to Star Wars movies. If you browse most other movie reviews, most people who dislike a movie don't even check into the thread. Those few that do, offer their one negative review (as is their right) and check out. It's largely SW where people seem to think they'll change others' opinions...in either direction, I don't mean to sound like it's only one-directional. And I myself have been guilty of this. Which is something that I'm trying to avoid moving forward.

There's a psychology paper waiting to be written about this trend.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I thought all true Star Wars fans hated this movie feeling that Iger and Kennedy completely betrayed George Lucas. Not that I would know about these things but watching the fanatic vloggers including Mark Hamill dump on this movie is entertaining. 52% on Rotten Tomatoes? Is that an all time low? It's always more fun reading about new movies than actually having to sit through them.

Got to now watch After the Fox, My Fair Lady or 2001 for the thousandth time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought all true Star Wars fans hated this movie feeling that Iger and Kennedy completely betrayed George Lucas.
If by "true Star Wars fans", you mean guys with neck beards that shoot You Tube videos while driving their cars and shouting about Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson's feminist agenda and how they ruined the franchise, then yes, all true Star Wars fans hate the new movies.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Not true. I've heard women, ok one, who felt that the feminist agenda is shoehorned in. Funny in the past I don't remember people going on about Sigourney Weaver taking over men's roles. Of course youtube wasn't around then. And weren't the recent Ghostbusters and Charlies Angels feminist reboots bombs that even women didn't want to see? instead they wanted to see Joker. .I understand as well the phenomenal gross of Skywalker is still a disappointment not being anywhere near what Disney needs to make on a movie like this.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There was a female vlogger who felt that the feminist agenda is shoehorned in with a kind of "We're women and aren't we wonderful that we can be as badass as men. We are truly The Force.' Funny in the past I don't remember people going on about Sigourney Weaver taking over men's roles. Of course youtube wasn't around then. And weren't the recent Ghostbusters and Charlies Angels feminist reboots bombs that even women didn't want to see? Instead they wanted to see Joker. I understand as well the phenomenal gross of Skywalker is still a disappointment not being anywhere near what Disney needs to make on a movie like this. And they had to cut the movie for delicate Asian sensibilities.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not true. I've heard women, ok one, who felt that the feminist agenda is shoehorned in. Funny in the past I don't remember people going on about Sigourney Weaver taking over men's roles. Of course youtube wasn't around then. And weren't the recent Ghostbusters and Charlies Angels feminist reboots bombs that even women didn't want to see? instead they wanted to see Joker. .I understand as well the phenomenal gross of Skywalker is still a disappointment not being anywhere near what Disney needs to make on a movie like this.

What "feminist agenda" in "RoS"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks