What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Side 3 of the wide screen editions of TMP and TVH were CAV despite the labels saying "CLV." Side 2 of Generations (with the crash) was in CAV.

If I'm not mistaken, the standard release of Voyage Home had side 3 in CAV (improperly labeled, as you note), but the "Director's Series" edition was all CLV in order to add a Leonard Nimoy interview - which was frustratingly placed at the beginning of Side 1 before the movie, even though the disc had NO CHAPTER STOPS! The only way to start the movie was to either watch that damned featurette or fast-forward through it every time. And if your player didn't have Digital Field Memory, you'd have to blindly fast-forward with no image on screen and hope you stopped at the right place.

I went out of my way to buy the standard edition for that reason. The video transfer was otherwise identical between the two discs.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I didn’t recall off the top of my head, but after checking the only Star Trek film I have on laser is First Contact (1996), which is represented in the description on the sleeve as being 2.35:1.

Yes, First Contact was 2.35:1 letterbox (non-anamorphic, of course), spread across two disc sides in CLV format.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
C65CA408-04AD-4F84-8DCD-D98C1A08DFA5.jpeg

Absolutely happy to have these individually with "theatrical release" art for the sleeves. Just waiting for the TMP box o'junk to arrive.

Wayne Klein

Stunt Coordinator
I have to comment that when I saw the original Star Wars, I could not help but see matte lines everywhere. The effects over-all of course were great. There’s no denying it was a well done film. But in the battle sequence at the end and the shots in the Deathstar trench had many obvious processed shots.

Star Trek The Motion Picture’s original optical effects I thought was pretty amazingly well done. Of course the three Klingon ships at the start of the film has matte lines, but the remastered 4K theatrical cut is not so overly bright that they are far less visible. The Space Dock sequence is still one of my favorites. The shots of the Enterprise are terrific and lit in a way that was so anti-ILM, they made a mark. There’s a lot of shots where the matte lines are not as visible. Trumbull really did a fantastic job under extremely difficult conditions on TMP. So it’s unfortunate the 8 foot filming miniature of the Enterprise’s pearlescent Aztec paint job was ruined for Star Trek 2 to 6 because ILM sprayed over the model with a dull coat. So they could light the model the ILM way. Not to mention the battle damage that was added too.
Indeed, the redone visual effects and clean up that Lucas had done for the original trilogy kind of makes them seem better than they are. They were top notch for their time as was ST:TMP except that it was done on a VERY tight schedule with little time to go back and do the clean up that one might expect for a $40 million dollar movie.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wish that they had just released ST:TMP with all three variations and without all the stuff in the big box.
Agreed. I can see the SLV being an exclusive, but the theatrical alone on 4K should have been released or combined with the DE.

My only issue with these discs otherwise are the player generated alien language subtitles. It's really annoying to have them all in the bland standard fonts when each film did them differently. The digital versions burn them in but Star Trek III is still not right. It's closer than the disc version and are at least in the proper positions in the screen (for example Kruge shouting "Feed him" was over to the right of the screen in the film and digital versions but centered on the hard discs). The subtitles for TFF and TUC on the digital are 100% accurate. Not so much on the physical.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find the subtitle issue irksome, especially because it’s entirely possible to make removable subtitles in the exact style of the original so that the studio’s goal of having one disc that can work in multiple territories is still achievable. That’s how they would have handled the digital versions. It’s just lazy work to not do it for the disc.

Subtitles on Blu-ray Discs aren’t inherently plain text. They’re actually graphic files and they can programmed however the author wants to. So they just made a choice to use a plain font and new placement instead of retaining the original. If it was the same on all platforms I’d get it. But they have created the proper assets for their digital distribution and simply not used them on the disc.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I find the subtitle issue irksome, especially because it’s entirely possible to make removable subtitles in the exact style of the original so that the studio’s goal of having one disc that can work in multiple territories is still achievable. That’s how they would have handled the digital versions. It’s just lazy work to not do it for the disc.

Subtitles on Blu-ray Discs aren’t inherently plain text. They’re actually graphic files and they can programmed however the author wants to. So they just made a choice to use a plain font and new placement instead of retaining the original. If it was the same on all platforms I’d get it. But they have created the proper assets for their digital distribution and simply not used them on the disc.
The Wrath of Khan is the only one that's done correctly. It's really annoying. The Search for Spock has ALWAYS been frustrating for me in this regard, mostly because it's my favorite of the 6 and my memories of the theatrical release are the happiest.

Just a recap as to what I mean:

The VHS release: the opening credits were all redone so the image didn't have to be letterboxed or squished. They were sloppy "video" credits that looked like some kid cut them out of white paper with safety scissors. The subtitles looked like someone used a Sima character generator. The opening credits were unwatchable until I got a laserdisc player, which had everything perfect.

The initial DVD: there was a glitch in the timing and the "Harve Bennett Production" credit cut out too quickly and threw off the timing of the rest of them until around Mark Lenard's credit. Subtitles were fine.

The Collectors Edition DVD: pretty sure that was fine, but there's a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something.

The Blu Ray: that damned pillar boxing of the opening credits. Player generated subtitles.

4K: player generated standard font with centered positioning

Digital copy: still new subtitles, not from the theatrical print but closer to the original (the only film to do this) and the position is correct. However, Kruge's "Disengage cloaking device!" is no longer italicized.

Pre 4k streaming: depending on the platform, some had pillar boxing in the titles, others did not, subtitles were perfect.

Also, does anyone else remember the original print of the movie had the subtitle "Lights!" for Kruge's entrance into the BoP bridge? It's not on any of the discs or digital prints.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The Collectors Edition DVD: pretty sure that was fine, but there's a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something.

Was there an audio issue on Star Trek III? I don't know where on The Digital Bits' Facebook page the post was made, but it was brought up. Might have something to do with the way the audio was mixed and coming out of the wrong speakers? Bill Hunt responded and said all he could do at the time was pass it on to Paramount.

sbjork

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Was there an audio issue on Star Trek III? I don't know where on The Digital Bits' Facebook page the post was made, but it was brought up. Might have something to do with the way the audio was mixed and coming out of the wrong speakers? Bill Hunt responded and said all he could do at the time was pass it on to Paramount.
I don't necessarily read all of the comments when they're not on one of my own posts, but I checked both the Bits and Bill's posts for STIII, and I don't see any comments about audio issues. Was it on a different post? I watched the first four back when the original UHD 4-pack came out, and I don't remember having any audio issues. But I certainly could have missed something.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only issue I can recall with the new line of remasters is the initial 2016 pressing of Khan having a visual error with a shot being accidentally repeated; it was recalled and corrected almost instantly.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I don't necessarily read all of the comments when they're not on one of my own posts, but I checked both the Bits and Bill's posts for STIII, and I don't see any comments about audio issues. Was it on a different post? I watched the first four back when the original UHD 4-pack came out, and I don't remember having any audio issues. But I certainly could have missed something.
It was on a different post and the comment was about the 2-Disc Special Collector's Edition.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Don't go crazy looking for a problem with the Star Trek III DVD release. I only "felt" like I was forgetting something but I think that release was the last one to get it right from start to finish.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Don't go crazy looking for a problem with the Star Trek III DVD release. I only "felt" like I was forgetting something but I think that release was the last one to get it right from start to finish.
I thought I would mention it since you were going through the various releases. Your post was insightful.

Last edited:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Agreed. I can see the SLV being an exclusive, but the theatrical alone on 4K should have been released or combined with the DE.

My only issue with these discs otherwise are the player generated alien language subtitles. It's really annoying to have them all in the bland standard fonts when each film did them differently. The digital versions burn them in but Star Trek III is still not right. It's closer than the disc version and are at least in the proper positions in the screen (for example Kruge shouting "Feed him" was over to the right of the screen in the film and digital versions but centered on the hard discs). The subtitles for TFF and TUC on the digital are 100% accurate. Not so much on the physical.

The new theatrical/SLV UHD in the box 'o junk edition of TMP has player-generated subtitles for the Klingon and Vulcan scenes, but they are in the original font and placement onscreen. The Director's Edition UHD, also (though in a different font). I haven't received my copy of VI yet, but I understand that's also the case for it (not sure about V).

PatrickDA

Second Unit
What's the one special feature that hasn't been carried over to these releases that was on the set put out last December? Maybe a documentary on "Wrath of Khan"?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m a little confused by the question - there was a set put out of the first four films in September 2021 - all bonus features from that set carried over to the September 2022 set of the first six films - same discs were used for the first four films.

There was a documentary unique to the 2016 set - the portions for TMP were included in the 2022 directors edition release, and the portions for TWOK have been on Khan releases since 2016. The portions on the third through six films haven’t been repeated since 2016.

PatrickDA

Second Unit
I just read on some site, maybe Digital Bits, that something wasn't on these versions that had been on a previous release. Some sort of documentary I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcrouch1983
Recent bookmarks