What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Special Effects Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Here's what I do to get discs out of tight cardboard sleeves: I use a Post-it "file marking tab". I don't know what they're properly called and packages don't say, but those inch-wide, colored end, semi-transparent thingies. They're much stickier than the regular paper Post-its (but non-marring). Just get a bit of one stuck on a disc and pull it out. I hate fingerprints too. I always have a pack of them near my rack, use them to mark which disc I'm at in a TV series (multiple ongoing), disc issues/probs/notes. I am cheap, these tabs last "forever". I don't mind cardboard sleeve packaging for BDs, not so keen on it for DVD/CD. These "tabs" mean you don't have to stretch the cardboard to get the disc out, less chance of wrecking the glue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Earlier today, I watched Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong, both looked tremendous. I'm about to fire up The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I watched a good bit of THEM last night during breaks in the World Series and thought it looked fine - similar to my memory of the 35mm I ran of it back in 2004.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Them!.jpg

... looks perfectly fine to me.

And here's a very short clip from an episode of What's My Line from 1954. Steve Allen must have seen the film, and decided to use its title in one of his very clever "free guesses". The audience laughed, so they must have got the joke. Which just proves how popular the movie must have been when it first opened.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
atfree said:
Watching The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms now......very impressed!
I'll be getting to it in a little while. I brought it over to a friend's house to share with him on Halloween night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A most successful screening of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. It's a beautiful transfer, and I felt I could appreciate the effects work so much more now. Superb!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just A/B'ed "Song of Kong" and the BD print was very good. The SD has very light green smearing about at the 49:52 mark and the BD was more pronounced. At the 52:02 mark, the green smearing lasted much longer . At the 57:33 mark, the whole middle of the picture has the same very light green smear, again, more prominent on the BD.

There were quite a few scenes on the BD that were crystal clear, especially at 57:33...WOW!

I think they used the same source for both the SD and BD because there are small black squiggles on the bottom of the same frame on both.

All in all, the BD is excellent, but if you didn't have it, the upscaled SD would suffice. Watching this thru an Epson 9500 PJ on a JKP Affinitive 16x9 110" screen (ISFed last month) in my absolutely dark home theater.

A great addition to my sci-fi/horror collection and next up is "Might Joe Young!"

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
While watching Beast last night, I read the comments in the booklet, and the following must surely be a joke:

"[Harryhausen] came up with a fantastic creature (constructed at full scale, all 50 tons of it)..."

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Doug Otte said:
While watching Beast last night, I read the comments in the booklet, and the following must surely be a joke:

"[Harryhausen] came up with a fantastic creature (constructed at full scale, all 50 tons of it)..."

I think they assumed the reader would recognize that there's an understood "had it been" before "constructed." That's how I read it, anyway.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Them! looks unnaturally stretched horizontally to me. It also does not look as sharp as the DVD. It looks smeared and muddy compared to the DVD. Son Of Kong also looks a little smeary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
warnerbro said:
Them! looks unnaturally stretched horizontally to me. It also does not look as sharp as the DVD. It looks smeared and muddy compared to the DVD. Son Of Kong also looks a little smeary.
What is the size of your screen?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
warnerbro said:
Those are smudges on your glasses. A little Windex and some Kleenex will clear that right up.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
CraigF said:
Here's what I do to get discs out of tight cardboard sleeves: I use a Post-it "file marking tab". I don't know what they're properly called and packages don't say, but those inch-wide, colored end, semi-transparent thingies. They're much stickier than the regular paper Post-its (but non-marring). Just get a bit of one stuck on a disc and pull it out. I hate fingerprints too. I always have a pack of them near my rack, use them to mark which disc I'm at in a TV series (multiple ongoing), disc issues/probs/notes. I am cheap, these tabs last "forever". I don't mind cardboard sleeve packaging for BDs, not so keen on it for DVD/CD. These "tabs" mean you don't have to stretch the cardboard to get the disc out, less chance of wrecking the glue.
I "solved " this problem by buying the individual films . It cost a little more , but I didn't have to deal with the cardboard slots . As soon as I saw a photo of the packaging , I cancelled my order for the box set in favor of the 4 separate Blu-ray discs .

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-Ray isn't stretched but the DVD was slightly stretched vertically which made some of the actors skinnier than they should be so it makes the Blu-Ray look stretched horizontally by comparison.

warnerbro said:

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I read somewhere that this set may be going (or is already) OOP - in any case, it was a good enough excuse for me to finally order and enjoy. Looking forward to it

P

Patrick Donahue

Does that include the individual titles? All I want really is "Them"

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks