What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Space Cowboys -- in BD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The longest, darkest period in our history is at an end.

After learning that the Panasonic BD player had become available in small quantities, and with an excitement level just short of the release of PS3, I made a trek to Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY, where Robert Zohn was kind enough to place a unit in my control.

After firing the unit up and making the proper adjustments with its slightly clunky remote control, I was prepared to witness the full vision and dynamism of Blu-Ray.

Using Warner's Space Cowboys as a test disc, as it had an HD compliment, I found myself wowed once again by the beauty, the exhultation, the serenity of High Definition home video.

Space Cowboys remains a fun film, beautifully captured in HD, and now in BD...

but the difference between the two was Huge!

In a side by side test I found that while the HD-DVD was contained in a dark red, or burgundy case, the BD-DVD was contained in ice-blue.

The difference easily detectable.

On screen, to my eye, they look exactly alike.

The bottom line seems to be that for those titles being published in both formats, the difference is in the hardware selected for your system, or the color of your choosing.

Red or Blu?

Same high quality image.

And still the same fun Space Cowboys.

RAH

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess the party line is that it's BD, not BRD, nor BR, nor BDVD, etc.

Glad to hear that Warner next-gen discs are identical-looking on both formats.

How about the sound? Were those identical too?

And do Universal or Paramount have any titles on both formats yet, for their own comparison?

Still holding out hope for dual-format players,

CS

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
This HD-DVD and BR use the same bit identical compressed image stream. If they don't look the same one or both of the players don't do their job properly or it's a calibration issue of player and/or display.

chuckamuck

Grip
Real Name
Jayson

Finally. A voice of reason from a respected non-partisan individual. Looking forward to your future Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) reviews, Mr. Harris.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Nice. Congrats on scoring a Panny! I'm also looking forward to your future BD reviews.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Universal is currently HD-DVD exclusive.

Paramount has released more than one title on both formats, including the Mission: Impossible films, The Italian Job (2003), Nacho Libre, Reds, Sleepy Hollow, and more.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

BR works for me.
either way, so what.
we all know what the reference is.

if i can come across a ps3 this weekend i'll be a happy guy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody can call these HD discs anything they want as long as it's not meant to degrade that format or start another "this format is better than that one" discussion, especially if that person just laid out $1200 for a player and is buying discs.

Crawdaddy

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much, Robert. I'm currently an owner of two HD DVD players and have been thinking of adding a Blu-ray player to my collection as well. I dealt with Robert Zohn at Value Electronics in the past when purchasing the two Toshiba units. Now today, based on this post of yours, I was happily pushed over the edge and called him to order the Panasonic Blu-ray player. It is shipping as I speak!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Finally an item in the format war that is worth fighting over; Red or Blue.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I bought a Sammy BD player a couple of weeks ago to accompany my RCA HD-DVD unit. While I've yet to play 5th Element (a known bad effort) I did purchase Knight's Tale which was one of the very early BD releases and found it's pq to be excellent. Tears of the Sun in BD was to my eyes as good as any HD-DVD title I've seen. I recently upgraded the firmware on the Samsung and can now enjoy "the best of both worlds".

While HD-DVD still has the advantage as far as special features and consistently good transfers, at least we know that BD is also capable of gorgeous pq.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's really more Maroon than red...;)

That's really the reason I chose HD-DVD. Maroon is the color of Texas A&M ;) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks