What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Some Like it Hot -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I only saw the last half of Love Story on TV in the late 70s, but I remember one of the final lines about love means you never have to say sorry, or something like that, seeming kinda nonsensical to my 12-year old mind—and it seems even more that way to me here in my late 50s.
We'll be celebrating our golden wedding anniversary this June (finger crossed). Trust me, we've both had to say "sorry" more than once.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
Watched Some Like It Hot last night. Not sure how long since I’d last seen it but this viewing I really noticed how densely the beats are packed — a lot going on per minute with even minor characters get significant comedic beats. (Also Wilder's talent for surrounding Spats with iconic faces. Mike Mazurki from Murder My Sweet was one that stuck out.) The darkly ironic comedic sense reminded me very much of Robert Zemeckis comedies, as well as the doling out of beats to minor characters (like Zemeckis did for Strickland or Goldie Wilson or Goldie's boss in BTTF for example.) And the movie also plays with contemporary audiences knowledge of U.S. history since that period (like the stock market references or the end of Prohibition), of which the characters in the movie could have no knowledge of, which is another thing Zemeckis plays with in BTTF, Roger Rabbit, 1941 etc. I guess you could call that Hindsight Humour. So I checked YouTube and found three instances of Zemeckis referencing Billy Wilder as a major influence:

I know Cameron Crowe cites Wilder as an important influence too but Some Like it Hot feels closer to the pace and style of a Zemeckis comedy than anything Crowe.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Wilder even did this tounge-and-cheek referencing upon his very own work, as seen in The Apartment, when Jack Lemmon is at a bar and has a brief verbal exchange with an in-vogue wanna-be Marilyn Monroe. This, in the great Wilder film, which was made back-to-back and one year after Some Like It Hot.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Wilder even did this tounge-and-cheek referencing upon his very own work, as seen in The Apartment, when Jack Lemmon is at a bar and has a brief verbal exchange with an in-vogue wanna-be Marilyn Monroe. This, in the great Wilder film, which was made back-to-back and one year after Some Like It Hot.
The Apartment also has Ray Walston comment "More like a lost weekend."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks