What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Snatch -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those unaware, if you see Guy Ritchie's name attached to a production, you can pretty much presume it's not going to be a "date movie." Well, let's remove his Sherlock Holmes films from that concept, as they may well work for a date.

But generally, we're talking about manly films, with sweat and testosterone jumping off the screen.

Snatch, now hitting it's maturity at 21 years of age, absolutely fits into that category, with non-stop action and enough dark humor to fit the bill.

Photographed on that stuff called fillum, it has been newly scanned, and the resultant 4k data fits right up there with the best of UHD releases coming from Sony / Columbia.

Those that may have missed this one are in for a treat.

Among the main cast: Benicio Del Toro, Dennis Farina, Jason Flemying, Jason Statham, Rade Serbedzija and Brad Pitt.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I've had the UHD sitting on my inbox pile for a few weeks but just haven't had a chance to get to it -- every time that I plan to watch it, something else shows up that jumps ahead (just got the Severin Blood for Dracula a couple of days ago, so that was my top priority last night). But Snatch keeps nagging at me, and your review may have been just what I needed to finally get 'er done this weekend!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I went to see this film on a first date. It was her choice. That was the only date, so maybe the film had something to do with it?

Btw, it's a terrific film, though a bit derivative. Then again, derivative kind of defines Guy Ritchie's films. Also stylish. And contains my favorite Brad Pitt performance.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Coincidentally, I saw this just last night and was thinking how I wish every publisher of UHD discs could master theirs as well as Sony can. Although Snatch is slicker, as well as being better shot and directed, I would still make a case for Guy Ritchie's debut, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels as being the better film. If mainly for the sheer enjoyment of such an electrifying debut, on par with Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

My expectations for Oliver! in Sony's upcoming Columbia box have been raised even higher....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ireallyluvdisfillumanditlooksbootifulonmetellyinmeperriwinklebluecaravanwitmatchincooshins!
;)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Snatch was quite good. Wouldn’t recommend the Holmes films, and there’s a reason I suspect they filmed a third installment and never finished it.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Quite a few of the critics wrote in their reviews of Snatch at the time that Guy Ritchie needed to do something different for his next film. So he took heed, scuttled his career and made one of the worst movies in movie history, the jaw-droppingly awful remake of Swept Away, with his wife Madonna.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Quite a few of the critics wrote in their reviews of Snatch at the time that Guy Ritchie needed to do something different for his next film. So he took heed, scuttled his career and made one of the worst movies in movie history, the jaw-droppingly awful remake of Swept Away, with his wife Madonna.
Wholeheartedly agree with your opinion of Swept Away- deserving of the Razzie it won. Hated the characters- I found myself rooting for everyone to die in the film- couldn’t make it to the end.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
There is a planned third installment, but it was delayed by the pandemic. It never went into production in the first place. They never finished it because they never really started it in the first place.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is a planned third installment, but it was delayed by the pandemic. It never went into production in the first place. They never finished it because they never really started it in the first place.
I’m aware of that. But he said they “filmed a third installment” hence my comment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks