What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Smokey and the Bandit -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Watching Hal Needham's wonderful escapist entertainment, Smokey and the Bandit, makes me want to go out and buy a Kenworth and get a CB radio.

It makes no sense whatsoever, is totally implausible, but is absolutely delicious fun.

Universal's 4k UHD is a beautifully produced release, and gives us every bit of color, grain and detail that might be found in the original negative.

As far as audio is concerned, the studio techs have gone back to the stems and created a wonderful new Dolby Atmos track, which adds another level to the fun, while for purists the original track is available as 2.0 monaural.

Image – 5 (HDR 10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Highly Recommended

RAH

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I’ve read there is no mono track on the 4k. Has this been corrected/re-issued since the first batch went out? It was on the 40th disc, so pretty dumb they couldn’t be bothered.
while for purists the original track is available as 2.0 monaural

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve read there is no mono track on the 4k. Has this been corrected/re-issued since the first batch went out? It was on the 40th disc, so pretty dumb they couldn’t be bothered.
On packaging. May have been left off disc. Will check as possibe

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Watching Hal Needham's wonderful escapist entertainment, Smokey and the Bandit, makes me want to go out and buy a Kenworth and get a CB radio.

It makes no sense whatsoever, is totally implausible, but is absolutely delicious fun.

Universal's 4k UHD is a beautifully produced release, and gives us every bit of color, grain and detail that might be found in the original negative.

As far as audio is concerned, the studio techs have gone back to the stems and created a wonderful new Dolby Atmos track, which adds another level to the fun, while for purists the original track is available as 2.0 monaural.

Image – 5 (HDR 10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Highly Recommended

RAH
Apart from THE HUSTLER (I would love to see that film on criterion!) in my opinion SATB has Jackie Gleason’s best work on film. He seems like he is having a total blast.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The lack of original mono is a deal-breaker for me on this one. The revisionist surround mixes included here are a travesty. I went with the 40th Anniversary Blu-Ray instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks