What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sleeper -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sleeper comes early on in the Woody Allen canon, right between Everything You Always... and Love and Death. As one of America's most prolific filmmakers, it's nice to finally see these earlier films arriving on Blu-ray, courtesy of MGM and Fox. The Blu-ray itself is a decent affair. Color and densities are all pleasing, and there's grain to the image. The only problem is that it appears to be a possibly older transfer, and not up to 2012 quality. A bit of frame movement, and a small amount of ringing set it back a bit. While this is excusable if one is able to purchase at $9 or so at Costco, it isn't at Amazon's $17 street price. For both the Allen completist, as well as those who appreciate essential filmed comedy. Image - 3.5 Audio - 5 Recommended. RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wish I could be privy to a discussion meeting when MGM execs decide which of the Allen films to release. I like Sleeper just fine, but I find Bananas funnier of the earlier movies, and wouldn't Radio Days with its warm colors look smashing in high def? Sleeper just wouldn't have been near the top of my list for a release.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I really enjoy this blu-ray as I've watched it twice already. One of my favorite lines and one that I use often on people is: "My brain? But that's my second favorite organ!" Would love to see more Woody Allen on blu-ray. I could toss out a few titles but really I want them all. :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
For me as well, Sleeper is about one of my favorites of Allens, and would have been one of my tops to put out from the MGM/UA catalog of titles

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For me as well, Sleeper is about one of my favorites of Allens, and would have been one of my tops to put out from the MGM/UA catalog of titles
I saw Sleeper on one of the worst dates of my life. I fear that whatever the merits of the film (and I admit that objectively it's good) whenever I've seen it mentioned since a feeling of gross embarrassment envelops me like the Blob. I'm off now to find something alcoholic ...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
andrew markworthy said:
I saw Sleeper on one of the worst dates of my life. I fear that whatever the merits of the film (and I admit that objectively it's good) whenever I've seen it mentioned since a feeling of gross embarrassment envelops me like the Blob. I'm off now to find something alcoholic ...
Illogical connections between movies and life events are funny. My wife and I saw Goldeneye on the day we found out she was pregnant with our first child. Now whenever I see Famke Janssen suffocating a man between her thighs or Pierce Brosnan driving a tank through Saint Petersburg, I get a little sentimental and misty-eyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks