What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Funny thing is people who cling to physical media want there to be a huge difference while people who have switched to digital media (like myself) want there to be no difference. :D
My experience has been that I have been able to see minor issues when looking at streams from some of the streaming companies (particularly Hulu and Netflix). But streams from Apple, Amazon and Disney+ have been very solid for me. Apple's iTunes selections via my Apple TV+ box have been incredibly solid. I am convinced Apple uses better compression and wider bandwidth.

Mark

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
We had issues with the disc hanging about 23 minutes in while playing on our Oppo UDP-203. We took the disc out and cleaned it and still had problems. We then decided to watch it on our PlayStation 5, and it played without any problem.
I'm having the same problem with my Oppo UDP-203. The disc constantly freezes up through the entire party scene. I, too, tried wiping the disc clean without any luck. :( I finally gave up and switched over to the 4k digital version. Is anyone else having trouble playing it on their Oppo UDP-203?

Last edited:

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I'm having the same problem with my Oppo UDP-203. The disc constantly freezes up through the entire party scene. I, too, tried wiping the disc clean without any luck. :( I finally gave up and switched over to the 4k digital version. Is anyone else having trouble playing it on their Oppo UDP-203?
UPDATE: I read on that other site where someone else with an Oppo 203 had been having playback issues with their 4k discs. They now wash their problem discs with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and dry them in an outward motion with a microfiber cloth and it has worked for them. I followed their instructions using Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water and now my disc is playing just fine.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
UPDATE: I read on that other site where someone else with an Oppo 203 had been having playback issues with their 4k discs. They now wash their problem discs with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and dry them in an outward motion with a microfiber cloth and it has worked for them. I followed their instructions using Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water and now my disc is playing just fine.
That's weird because I played that 4K disc on two different Oppo 203 players without any such incidents.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I have recently noticed that a lot of new discs have playback issues out of the box. I have read some speculation that it's due to off-gassing from new packaging materials, which leaves a thin layer of condensation on the disc surface. A drop of dish soap and a light rinse of warm water usually fixes it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have recently noticed that a lot of new discs have playback issues out of the box. I have read some speculation that it's due to off-gassing from new packaging materials, which leaves a thin layer of condensation on the disc surface. A drop of dish soap and a light rinse of warm water usually fixes it.

That seemed an issue pretty much all along -- well, at least during the last ~4 years or so anyway -- though I've always found the issue visible if I look...

I basically always check new 4K discs under a good light to catch such issues and haven't had any playback issues (even on a Sony X700 that many report issues... though I've moved onto a Panny 420 this past year) since doing so (unless I happened to forget)...

_Man_

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
My experience has been that I have been able to see minor issues when looking at streams from some of the streaming companies (particularly Hulu and Netflix). But streams from Apple, Amazon and Disney+ have been very solid for me. Apple's iTunes selections via my Apple TV+ box have been incredibly solid. I am convinced Apple uses better compression and wider bandwidth.

Mark
Yes! I've noticed this as well. Apple TV 4K streams are stellar. I don't have the luxury nor the space to invest in shelves to house physical media (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) so it's great to have the option to purchase digital versions.

I reserve buying physical releases for "must haves" - for everything else I am perfectly satisfied with a top notch digital version.

My iTunes digital version of Singing' in the Rain has finally been upgraded to the 4K Dolby Vision version so I will be watching it later today on my 4K panel.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Amen on that - I can't even watch The Yellow Music Man transfer anymore. One of the most shamefully ugly transfers ever. Give the film, a HUGE box-office earner, the damn respect it deserves. I'll be first in line!
And being a Technirama title, it has the potential to look stunning in 4K.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
And being a Technirama title, it has the potential to look stunning in 4K.
I saw a magnificent stereo print of it years ago at the Walter Reade. So good I went twice that weekend bringing family and friends. A very happy experience. At one showing the woman in front of me turned to her daughter and said this was your father's favorite movie.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I have repeated 4k freeze on many discs on my OPPO 203.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
caps-a-holic comparison. Sorry, it's not the full image.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
The 4K disc was released two months ago for any type of disc comparison so what's with you guys and your screencaps?

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I have repeated 4k freeze on many discs on my OPPO 203.
I have only had a problem with "Godfather 3 Coda" on my Oppo 203 , during the beginning of the helicopter shooting scene. Elsewise, like on some of the 4K discs in the Hitchcock box, a wipe with a disc cleaner solved all the problems

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Ron Haver commentary from the Criterion laser disk.

Plus an article written by Mr. Haver on the Criterion website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks