What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Shrek - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Shrek, as some may know, is a charming computer animated film concerning a kindly ogre.

Universal's new 4k release has all the gorgeous colors and densities of the previous releases, but has been bumped up to 4k with HDR.

And I'm not terribly impressed.

The previous Blu-rays were beautifully rendered in their own right, and the digitally produced images seem to appear slightly sharpened for 4k, occasionally leaving digital bits and pieces in the wake. Trying to find the correct word for what I'm seeing, and "crisp" seems about right.

Wonderful film but I'm not certain that 4k is essential viewing.

Audio is DTS TrueHD 7.1 on the Blu-ray and X on the 4k. Not certain why this occurs.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - No

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I think opinions will vary on this 4K release as some will dislike it while others will think it looks great on their displays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I think opinions will vary on this 4K release as some will dislike it while others will think it looks great on their displays.
The iTunes HD digital that I purchased for $4.99 last month as upgraded to 4K/HDR today. I'm going to sample it this weekend to see if I like the 4K presentation.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Shrek, as some may know, is a charming computer animated film concerning a kindly ogre.

Universal's new 4k release has all the gorgeous colors and densities of the previous releases, but has been bumped up to 4k with HDR.

And I'm not terribly impressed.

The previous Blu-rays were beautifully rendered in their own right, and the digitally produced images seem to appear slightly sharpened for 4k, occasionally leaving digital bits and pieces in the wake. Trying to find the correct word for what I'm seeing, and "crisp" seems about right.

Wonderful film but I'm not certain that 4k is essential viewing.

Audio is DTS TrueHD 7.1 on the Blu-ray and X on the 4k. Not certain why this occurs.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - No

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
The real tragedy is this: DreamWorks Animation has likely sourced this from a "film-out" as the digital files for the film are either lost, or no longer accessible due to archaic software. We learned this when DreamWorks Animation did the 3D conversions for the first 3 Shrek films. The story at that time was that the files were "lost", so they did conversion from film elements.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The real tragedy is this: DreamWorks Animation has likely sourced this from a "film-out" as the digital files for the film are either lost, or no longer accessible due to archaic software. We learned this when DreamWorks Animation did the 3D conversions for the first 3 Shrek films. The story at that time was that the files were "lost", so they did conversion from film elements.
And the original was likely rendered at less than 2k just like the pre-Incredibles Pixar films so three wrongs make a "What a ripoff!"

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I enjoyed Mr. Harris' review until its last two words. Not sure what about this 4K disc would make it "highly recommended".

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
At least this is the correct audio. I didn't like the underscore addition during Donkey's song when he meets Shrek. (You Gotta Have Friends)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The iTunes HD digital that I purchased for $4.99 last month as upgraded to 4K/HDR today. I'm going to sample it this weekend to see if I like the 4K presentation.
Robert, How did the 4K digital look to you? Does Dolby Vision/HDR give it some added punch that's welcome or even noticeable?

I won't be buying the 4K disc, but will consider the 4K digital when it's $4.99 again.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Robert, How did the 4K digital look to you? Does Dolby Vision/HDR give it some added punch that's welcome or even noticeable?

I won't be buying the 4K disc, but will consider the 4K digital when it's $4.99 again.

Mark
I didn't have time to sample as I'm knee deep in watching a bunch of westerns over the last several weeks.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't speak to the 4K because I'm not equipped for that. But I own the Shrek Ultimate Collection released in 2019. The bonus disc included in this set is the same as disc 7 of that set. Furthermore, the Puss in Boots disc in that set is identical to the original release which was distributed by Paramount in 2012. I know this because I previously had the old Puss disc and compared them. As for the original Shrek, I've only owned the original 2001 DVD release (long since gone from my collection) and the Blu-ray Dsc in the Ultimate Collection. But I'm willing to guess that all of the movie discs in that set are the same transfers as in the original Blu-ray releases of the Shrek films.

Not Shrek, but another DreamWorks release: I bought The Croods 2-Movie Collection back in February, which paired the original film with its recent sequel. The disc for the first Croods film inside the Universal-released 2-pack loaded with the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment logo from its original release in 2013 even though the film is now owned by Universal and being distributed by them. They didn't even spend the money to scrub Fox's logo off the start of the disc or the start of the film.

I don't think Universal has had any interest in actually doing new Blu-rays for any of these DreamWorks titles that have been previously released. So it makes complete sense that they would recycle the old 1080p transfer for Shrek again rather than doing a new one. Obviously, they have to do a new transfer for the 4k, but they probably think the existing 1080p one is good enough and see no reason to change it.

The most surprising thing about this release is that it is only being offered individually and that they are not releasing a 4K version of the box set with the sequels at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markmcca