What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Shadow of a Doubt -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Reported to be Hitchcock's favorite of his own work, Shadow of a Doubt (1943) is grand film-making.

Setting the tale of a serial killer within the beauty of small town Americana is brilliant, and as a film, works perfectly.

The Blu-ray is splendid, but for the exception of the main titles and montages, which are over dupey, and could have used a bit of clean-up.

We'll all get over that, as the film is one of the highlights of cinema, and Mr. Cotten's dinner table soliloquy is one of the finest and most chilled ever to be recorded on film.

A great film, and at the pinnacle of the Hitchcock charts along with two or three others.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What a relief! Many thanks for the assessment.
I never bought the DVD of this film so I'm delighted that the BRD is worth having.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is this only available in the Universal box set? I would love to pick this one up as a standalone release, but I don't want to repurchase the titles that were previously released.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
Is this only available in the Universal box set? I would love to pick this one up as a standalone release, but I don't want to repurchase the titles that were previously released.
There are 13 titles exclusive to the box set. The US set has 15 films, the UK has 14. As of yet, no individual releases of these 13 have been announced (or even hinted at officially).
The only previously released titles are Psycho (UK & US) and North By Northwest (US).

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator
I'm of the opinion Joseph Cotten is one cinema's most under-appreciated actors. His work with Hitchcock in this film and "Breakdown" from Hitchcock Presents is stellar. Great stuff.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Finally got my collection on Monday and watched this last night. Not spruced up as much as it needed but looked quite good. There was a 21 second section quite out of sync though - starting at about 9:56 and ending about 10:17. Probably a reel change there and something got messed up at some point in time when assembling picture and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur