What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rosemary's Baby -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What a way to make an entrance.

Rosemary's Baby, Roman Polanski's US debut production, remains a classic almost 45 years after it was created.

It's one of those films that has appeared on virtually every home video format, going back to VHS, and now via The Criterion Collection arrives on Blu-ray. And if one is seeking out a Blu-ray that replicates the look of the cinema, it doesn't get any better than this.

Scanned in 4k, from the original camera negative, the final result is perfection.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (uncompressed monaural)

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I love the story of how Polanski framed one shot with Ruth Gordon talking on the phone.
He set it up in such a way that you see her through a door, but her face is just cut off. The DP noticed the error and made the small adjustment to bring her face into view. Polanski told him that no, the position had been correct and to put it back. The cameraman reminded Polanski that you couldn't see her face.
Polanski related that that was what he intended.
And so when you watch Rosemary's Baby with an audience, when this shot appears, without fail, you can enjoy the sight of a large group of people trying to crane their necks around the door frame to see Ruth Gordon's face as she talks on the phone.
A master at work.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I ordered a copy from Diabolik DVD and they shipped it last Friday via Priority Mail. Tracking says it's in Bethpage, NY. Why do I get the feeling I'll never see this package? Thanks, Sandy.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Watched it tonight. I love the blu-ray! I wish they all looked so good. Amazing, IMO.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Watched it Halloween night, and the presentation is indeed perfect. And the film still puts me on edge, no matter how many times I see it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Also watched it last night. Great film and a great presentation! What a blu-ray of a classic film should be! Kudos all around!

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
rsmithjr said:
It is so nice to be able to pre-order something in the knowledge that it will be good when it arrives.
Quite. I'm very happy that Criterion licensed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes