What's new

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
This appears to be the scene in question. I'd lean towards it being a technical reason than Wyler intentionally doing Mad Max-style action editing. :rolling-smiley: Or maybe they just couldn't have Hepburn do a full swing for legal or physical reasons. But one could argue the jump cut actually helps sell the moment more than if it had been a single take.

Thanks for the link. I watched it several times. Are we sure frames are missing there? It looks to me like Eddie Albert's camera flash just at the moment when she first connects the guitar to his head.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought so, as well, but I thought he wasn't ready with his camera for the first hit, so he asked her to do it again? It happens pretty quickly, so I had to watch it several times.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thanks for the link. I watched it several times. Are we sure frames are missing there? It looks to me like Eddie Albert's camera flash just at the moment when she first connects the guitar to his head.
Yes, they are. If you slow it down frame by frame, like I did on my PS3, you can see the jump clearly. I did this a few times on different jump cuts.

I also noticed one in SPARTACUS...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's who WalMart lists as the stars of Roman Holiday in Doug's link:

Harry Dean Stanton, Molly Ringwald, James Spader, Kristy Swanson, Andrew McCarthy, Andrew Dice Clay, Emily Longstreth, Jon Cryer, Kate Vernon, Gina Gershon, Jim Haynie, Alexa Kenin, Annie Potts, Margaret Colin
That one scene where Andrew Dice Clay and Audrey Hepburn were sitting at the cafe just slays me...EVERY TIME! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If that indicates the Blu-ray disc has sold out, I'm encouraged. I want physical media to sell in large quantities.
If this was ten years ago, I would feel the same way. However, studios have become a little smarter in meeting customer demand by releasing their titles in much smaller batches. Thus, not being stuck with excessive inventory. The Paramount Presents "Roman Holiday" was released on 09-15-20. This second Blu-ray release with cheaper packaging and a lesser MSRP was on 10-05-21. That suggests to me that the first release sold out, but was a limited batch. It will be interesting to see if the 10-05-21 BD release has the following like the "Paramount Presents" release.

Roman Holiday contains a fine assortment of interesting bonuses. This release is the ninth entry in the collectible "Paramount Presents" line which includes unique packaging beyond standard Blu-ray case and slipcover components. No DVD is included, but Paramount has bundled in a digital copy code.

• NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on Roman Holiday
  • Behind the Gates: Costumes
  • Rome with a Princess
  • Audrey Hepburn: The Paramount Years
  • Dalton Trumbo: From A-List to Blacklist
  • Paramount in the '50s Remembering Audrey
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Four Photo Galleries: Production, The Movie, Publicity, The Premiere

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Walmart listing is most definitely the Paramount Presents release. I'll know on Friday when my order arrives.
I don't think so based on the sale price. Anyhow, let me know if it has the following or not:

• NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on Roman Holiday
  • Behind the Gates: Costumes
  • Rome with a Princess
  • Audrey Hepburn: The Paramount Years
  • Dalton Trumbo: From A-List to Blacklist
  • Paramount in the '50s Remembering Audrey
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Four Photo Galleries: Production, The Movie, Publicity, The Premiere

Never mind, here is the 10-05-21 release back cover so it does have the same bonus material as the 09-15-20 "The Paramount Presents" release.

1660643449522.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
@dpippel Any update with your Blu-ray?
Ah, funny you should ask Robert! I was just about to come here and post an update. My order was delivered yesterday afternoon but I didn't get a chance to open it until this morning. Even though the product page for the disc I purchased clearly showed the cover for the Paramount Presents release, I received the "regular" release instead. So (surprise, surprise!), Walmart's listing is incorrect. I informed them of the problem and returned the disc for a refund.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ah, funny you should ask Robert! I was just about to come here and post an update. My order was delivered yesterday afternoon but I didn't get a chance to open it until this morning. Even though the product page for the disc I purchased clearly showed the cover for the Paramount Presents release, I received the "regular" release instead. So (surprise, surprise!), Walmart's listing is incorrect. I informed them of the problem and returned the disc for a refund.
I think the disc has the same bonus material as the Paramount Presents except for the fancy packaging which is why it's pricing is less than that release.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I received mine from Walmart also. Back cover reads the same. Same transfer and extras as Paramount presents disc. Sufficient for me, although I certainly won’t be displaying this case.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received mine from Walmart also. Back cover reads the same. Same transfer and extras as Paramount presents disc. Sufficient for me, although I certainly won’t be displaying this case.
I decided to return mine just on principle. They have an image of the Paramount Presents release with the slipcover on the product page, but the product I ordered based on that information was not the item I received. I may pick up a used copy of the regular release at some point, but for now I have the HD iTunes stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks