What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rocketman -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I viewed Dexter Fletcher's Rocketman for the second time - the first was via a 2k DCP, up-rezzed to 4k on a 37 foot screen - I realized how good Paramount's 4k Blu-ray was, in comparison.

It holds up perfectly in all regards.

But the thing that got me thinking was a question.

How many film biographies have been produced, whilst the main character is still alive - and performing?

I'm not discussing news, or event-driven films, such as Sully, or docs, but all-out bio-pics, even of the fantasy variety?

It must be a short list.

The Jolson Story, Jolson Sings Again...

As a film, Rocketman is wonderfully entertaining, but most of you already know that.

Catching up with titles that should have been reviewed long ago, and this one meets the tech needs beautifully.

I do have one quibble, and it's not with the presentation, but rather the packaging. Blue lettering on a black background doesn't work for readability.

Image – 5 (HDR 10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Great film. The first film that came to mind was "Vice". Playing a living person has to be difficult on the actor, but not sure if that was the case with Bale on "Vice", playing such an unpleasant man.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
What I found interesting in the review was the comment that the 4K looks better than what Mr. Harris saw in the theatre (or wherever that 37 foot screen was)...and for me that is an increasing problem. Often I go to the theatre and since it is almost always a 2K presentation I often find the picture lacks punch, the colour can we somewhat wan and things like contrast get murky. I often find the picture on the Blu-ray (I am not 4K yet) to be much better so my trips to the cinema have become less and less frequent. Am I alone in this?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What I found interesting in the review was the comment that the 4K looks better than what Mr. Harris saw in the theatre (or wherever that 37 foot screen was)...and for me that is an increasing problem. Often I go to the theatre and since it is almost always a 2K presentation I often find the picture lacks punch, the colour can we somewhat wan and things like contrast get murky. I often find the picture on the Blu-ray (I am not 4K yet) to be much better so my trips to the cinema have become less and less frequent. Am I alone in this?

The 4k Blu does not look better. It holds up very nicely vs theatrical, which was 4k up-rez.

Same basic data, with different compression.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw this film in a Dolby Cinema theater which is probably as good as it gets presentation-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks