What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Red Dragon -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wanted to sample two films this evening with totally different photographic styles and filmed at least a decade apart.

First up was Brett Ratner's Red Dragon, a 2002 production photographed in anamorphic Panavision by cinematographer Dante Spinotti, who's work includes the original Manhunter (1986) as well as the latest X-Men opus.

This is a psychological drama that wants to disallow your ability to see into the shadows. The film gives us black shadows, with virtually no shadow detail, and this stylistic approach has been translated beautifully to the new HD-DVD.

I'm extremely pleased that each of the three majors currently releasing in the HD-DVD format (Universal, Paramount and Warner Bros.) have, with virtually no technical stumbles short of a handful of 1080i transfers from WB, given us a quality much higher then I would have imagined.

Red Dragon carries on the tradition, especially for Universal, with its recent technical history steeped in digital media.

Red Dragon is an exceptional film, which upholds the origins of the franchise, and comes to HD in beautiful form.

Highly Recommended on both entertainment and technical levels.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks