What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rear Window -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Mr. Harris.
Just to be sure I understand you, you mean they went to masters for the blu ray as the screen cap I posted is from the velvet box Masterpeice Collection.
It was a pleasure to see this film again, I held off waiting for the blu-ray. The jazzy score is fun too.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nelson Au said:
Thank you Mr. Harris.
Just to be sure I understand you, you mean they went to masters for the blu ray as the screen cap I posted is from the velvet box Masterpeice Collection.
It was a pleasure to see this film again, I held off waiting for the blu-ray. The jazzy score is fun too.
Two different processes. One analogue (DVD), the other digital (BD).
Different film elements. Different scanning methodologies.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why my pre-review is not always coming up for everyone. Could be due to storm issues affecting servers, etc.
I really liked this disc and said as much in my review. I don't believe I mentioned any issues about the credits other than the grain. I believe the credits themselves are the intended effect and not an error.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Robert. I did pick up the set today at Costco for $164. Amazon is at $224. Quite a difference in price!!

I watched Rear Window and it looked good to me, although I didnt see a vast difference compared to the DVD, brighter for sure but the transfer is good as far as I can see, Sound was great. And I love this film ! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mr. Harris, it's good to know the opening title credits appear as they originally did with the brighter red outline.
Sorry Kevin, I thought you had mentioned the offset of the red outline in your review, that was for some reason blocked a few days ago!
David, I could see a difference. Between the DVD and the blu rays in terms of video noise being very strong on the DVD which I am thinking is film grain which is mostly removed from the blu ray.
Osato, isn't that Costco price great! Saved $60 from Amazon's price.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Osato said:
Thanks Robert. I did pick up the set today at Costco for $164. Amazon is at $224. Quite a difference in price!!
I was horrified to see this price at my local Costco yesterday, since I'd already pulled the shrinkwrap off my Amazon copy. I could've (almost) bought the Indiana Jones set with the difference. :f

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Craig. Maybe you can request a return, or Amazon would be willing to price match?
Recently, with big box sets like these, I just wait till release day and check on Costco first. They've been really good and competitive. In this case, they crushed the competition.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You could try purchasing the Costco set, and then try returning that one to Amazon. That set would still be in shrinkwrap, and should be the same UPC. Of course, you might have to pay return shipping (but that still might be less than $60).
David

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Craig Beam said:
I was horrified to see this price at my local Costco yesterday, since I'd already pulled the shrinkwrap off my Amazon copy. I could've (almost) bought the Indiana Jones set with the difference. :f
The products offered by Costco and Amazon are identical. Buy the set at Costco, keep it sealed, and return it to Amazon. Amazon will refund you the price you paid (you'll have to pay return shipping since nothing is wrong with the set) and Amazon will get back the exact same thing they sold you. No harm, no foul.

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
David Weicker said:
You could try purchasing the Costco set, and then try returning that one to Amazon. That set would still be in shrinkwrap, and should be the same UPC. Of course, you might have to pay return shipping (but that still might be less than $60).
David
Nevermind, apparently David is on the same train of thought too.

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Nelson Au said:
There is a price tag from Costco to be removed.
True, which is simply a matter of peeling off the sticker. You could take it off, still leave gobs of white sticker material and residue, and it wouldn't really matter. Frankly, as someone who worked for more than two and half years for a large retail corporation like Amazon, the companies don't care, providing you abide by their return processes. As long as you originally bought the product with the company, and are returning an identical product in the same unopened/unused condition, it makes no difference whatsoever.
Normally, I wouldn't go through the return process hassles for a few dollars difference, but in the case of $60, the return shipping is more than worth it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
You guys are finding the Hitchcock set at Costco? The ever-shrinking movie section of my local Costco is down to about half a dozen Blu-ray titles, none of which are box sets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JoshZ said:
You guys are finding the Hitchcock set at Costco? The ever-shrinking movie section of my local Costco is down to about half a dozen Blu-ray titles, none of which are box sets.
Yeah, the selection at the store near me has gotten so small that it's not even worth the time to go over and look to see if they have it.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I certainly don't count on Costco having anything anymore, which I was I preordered the box through Amazon. I wish I *could* count on Costco. I miss the days of swinging by there on Tuesdays knowing that I would come away with a bargain-priced DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I let my Costco membership expire a couple of years ago when their dvd & blu-ray section shrunk to nearly nothing. But I swung by the Burbank one today out of curiosity. They did have one copy of the Hitchcock set. Many copies of the Universal Monsters box, though. Didn't renew my membership as the selection in general was the worst I have ever seen it. Just sad. Man, I got great deals on a lot of boxsets there in the old days.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The Burbank one is a bit better than the Van Nuys, which is my closest. I keep my Costco up for the gas, and I usually find some good BD catalog deals throughout the year and moreso at christmastime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks