What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But I'm still missing hand-drawn animation. I wish at least Disney + would bring that back.

Back in December at their investor day thing, Disney did announce a Tiana series spun off from The Princess and the Frog that is in development for Disney+. There has been no official word as to whether it will be 2D or CG, but since her movie was 2D, that would make sense. But they did include a CG version of Tiana in Ralph Breaks the Internet so I guess it could go either way.

I remember reading somewhere that Disney had to outsource the 2D animation in Mary Poppins Returns because they don't do it in house anymore, but couldn't tell you where I read that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Blu-ray.com is now listing a Disney Movie Club Exclusive variant of the Blu+DVD+digital version but doesn't have any details about what differentiates it from the standard Blu+DVD+digital wide release. Does anyone know?

I'm good with my pre-order of the steelbook from Best Buy, so my purchase will not change. But I'm just curious.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Are these still seperate stages, now with hand drawn animation being done on tablets rather than cels?

I must admit I am not familiar with current cel animation techniques, such as Studio Ghibli utilizes. But I still imagine Disney would have to do a lot of hiring and revamping of their equipment and machinery in order to begin producing feature cartoons of the quality they were once famous for.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
With both this film, and 'Soul' not getting a 3D release I think it is safe to say Disney is done with that format. At least for the animated features, we will have to wait and see what happens with the Marvel films.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
With both this film, and 'Soul' not getting a 3D release I think it is safe to say Disney is done with that format. At least for the animated features, we will have to wait and see what happens with the Marvel films.

This isn't surprising. 3D displays are legacy tech, and the big D is still paying for how hard they flooded the market with software that didn't sell 10 years ago.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This isn't surprising. 3D displays are legacy tech, and the big D is still paying for how hard they flooded the market with software that didn't sell 10 years ago.
I'm actually surprised that 3D BD survived after the TV market ended production of that feature.

That being said 3D sales have obviously been well enough for them to continue all this time. WB being the most generous of all major studios for physical home video continues to support the format.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Blu-ray.com is now listing a Disney Movie Club Exclusive variant of the Blu+DVD+digital version but doesn't have any details about what differentiates it from the standard Blu+DVD+digital wide release.

I'm quoting my own post because now there is artwork available. It appears that the DMC exclusive will just be an artwork variant.

Raya.jpg

I'm going to be much happier with my steelbook.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It occurred to me just now that there are no pre-orders available for a DVD only version of this release.

Now, obviously most people hanging around here would not be interested in a DVD only version, and there is a DVD included inside the Blu-ray combo pack.

I'm not saying that I, personally, need a DVD. I'll be perfectly happy with my steelbook which does not include one. But if there is not one, I think this would be the first time ever that Disney dropped a DVD-only option. So that's sort of interesting if they are throwing in the towel on the DVD format by itself.

Of course, It is also possible that they are going to put out a standalone DVD and just haven't started preorders for it. But all of the other versions (Blu+DVD, 4k+BD, Best Buy steelbook, Target with lithographs) have preorders available. So that would be unusual.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish people could come up with something more creative than insulting video games and video game animation when they don't like something in a movie. Modern video game animation is hardly stilted. In fact, the quality of it is as good as any movie animation in most cases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Let's be blunt about how Disney dropped the ball on 3D, and other studios followed suit:
  • Disney insisted on releasing 3D-only discs, rather than the hybrid discs that were available to them via the MVC codec, and other studios followed the "leader";
  • When Disney did release a 3D only disc [OZ the Great and Powerful] it was literally that and therefore incompatible with 2D setups;
  • Disney led the way with inflated SRPs on 3D combo packs, mimicking the 3D surcharge at cinemas;
  • Toward the end, Disney was wildly inconsistent in terms of which titles got 3D releases in North America, and then there was the whole debacle of releasing a region-locked version of Ratatouille in 3D in Europe.
Tl;dr: 3D got short shrift at home because of predatory practices by the studios, who instead of considering such content as "value-added", decided to make it a "premium" and therefore out of reach of the average consumer, which ran counter to how 3D TVs and players were marketed.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Let's be blunt about how Disney dropped the ball on 3D, and other studios followed suit:
  • Disney insisted on releasing 3D-only discs, rather than the hybrid discs that were available to them via the MVC codec, and other studios followed the "leader";
  • When Disney did release a 3D only disc [OZ the Great and Powerful] it was literally that and therefore incompatible with 2D setups;
  • Disney led the way with inflated SRPs on 3D combo packs, mimicking the 3D surcharge at cinemas;
  • Toward the end, Disney was wildly inconsistent in terms of which titles got 3D releases in North America, and then there was the whole debacle of releasing a region-locked version of Ratatouille in 3D in Europe.
Tl;dr: 3D got short shrift at home because of predatory practices by the studios, who instead of considering such content as "value-added", decided to make it a "premium" and therefore out of reach of the average consumer, which ran counter to how 3D TVs and players were marketed.
Yeah, agreed. And you’ve only skimmed the surface detailing how the studios screwed 3D. But that’s another thread.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Most to the point, they had multiple racks of those 3D discs at my local Walmart that JUST. SAT. THERE, collecting dust. Because you needed special TVs and special players which were too expensive at the time and not available at most retailers in Middle America. Why do you expect people to buy these useless discs they can't watch? No wonder it flopped.

The reason I think UHD isn't doing so hot either is because of the mistakes made by the studios completely misjudging the 3D market. This in spite of the fact that 4K Televisions probably have 15x the market saturation that 3DTVs did.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neither 3D or UHD did well, because the studios never got over the fact that the market had changed since the arrival of DVD in the 90s. The market for home video had become massively fragmented with the arrival of streaming, but studios were still acting like it was 1997 and that consumers had limited choices.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My steelbook has space for a 3rd disc on the left, anyone else?

Yes, mine as well. It appears to be a manufacturing issue affecting all copies. I have yet to hear about a steelbook for Raya that doesn't have three slots.

It occurred to me just now that there are no pre-orders available for a DVD only version of this release.

I'm quoting my own post only to follow up that there is a standard DVD only release after all. Disney just didn't put it up for preorder, but it exists. So they haven't completely given up on DVD customers yet.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Most to the point, they had multiple racks of those 3D discs at my local Walmart that JUST. SAT. THERE, collecting dust. Because you needed special TVs and special players which were too expensive at the time and not available at most retailers in Middle America. Why do you expect people to buy these useless discs they can't watch? No wonder it flopped.

The reason I think UHD isn't doing so hot either is because of the mistakes made by the studios completely misjudging the 3D market. This in spite of the fact that 4K Televisions probably have 15x the market saturation that 3DTVs did.
I don't think too expensive is accurate. Plasma models were pricey, but they always were. When LG brought out their passive displays, prices were comparable to 2D displays. also 3D Blu-ray players weren't much a premium over 2D models. I paid less for my 3D model than I did for my first BD player, and I wasn't what you'd call an early adopter.

4K UHD Blu-ray is a different beast altogether. The players haven't caught on, so economies of scale haven't kicked in. As well, when people can get 4K UHD content included at the base price for Disney+ and most other streaming services, the average consumer is satisfied that streaming is "good enough."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes, mine as well. It appears to be a manufacturing issue affecting all copies. I have yet to hear about a steelbook for Raya that doesn't have three slots.

I'm quoting my own post only to follow up that there is a standard DVD only release after all. Disney just didn't put it up for preorder, but it exists. So they haven't completely given up on DVD customers yet.
I saw the DVD version at Wal*Mart at appears what is apparently their usual price structure: DVD $19.9X- Blu-ray $24.9X - 4K Blu-ray (includes a Vudu sticker/label but nothing else I could see different) $29.9X.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If this is anything like what I typically see at Walmart, it probably had the black band across the top with the words "DVD Only" on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks