What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pyewacket -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I always enjoy discovering newly minted low-budget films that represent new talent - writer/director Adam MacDonald and lead actress Nicole Muñoz.

The steadfast factor of stability here, with a bit of bottle age, is Laurie Holden, as Nicole's mother.

Pyewacket (presumably named after Kim Novak's cat(s) in Bell, Book and Candle, is a genuinely creepy film, that works under the concept of "Be careful what you wish for. Someone may hear you."

And the problem is that the someone is a demon, that won't go away.

Photographed in a very specific low chroma style, by Canadian DP, Christian Bielz - Pyewacket is a Canadian production, shot in Ontario.

While it won't have you viewing through the space between your fingers, the IFC Films production, released via Scream Factory, is worthy of your attention.

Low budget. Tiny cast.

It works.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris, any attention to Canadian cinema is appreciated! As with many Canadian productions, this film didn’t screen in either of Calgary’s two arthouse theatres (or any of the Landmark or Cineplex theatres), so I was only able to view it on the The Movie Network (yes, we still have cable). I thoroughly enjoyed the film, as the location of Sault Ste. Marie’s forests contributed to the film’s unnerving tone (Canadian geography as a physical metaphor for isolation is a constant theme in much of our literature and arts). I look forward to owning the Scream Factory Blu-ray!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris, any attention to Canadian cinema is appreciated! As with many Canadian productions, this film didn’t screen in either of Calgary’s two arthouse theatres (or any of the Landmark or Cineplex theatres), so I was only able to view it on the The Movie Network (yes, we still have cable). I thoroughly enjoyed the film, as the location of Sault Ste. Marie’s forests contributed to the film’s unnerving tone (Canadian geography as a physical metaphor for isolation is a constant theme in much of our literature and arts). I look forward to owning the Scream Factory Blu-ray!

Most folks down here in the lower 48, don’t know how much film & TV is short up there. We love Canadians. As long as you stay away from the White House with anything aflame.

Please don’t do that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks