What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Pursued (Kino) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pursued, which was originally released by Raoul Walsh's home studio, Warner Bros. in 1947, somehow ended up over at Paramount, hence the new Kino release, which supplants the original (now out of print) Olive.

This is a wonderful film. Great cast - Teresa Wright and Robert Mitchum, shortly after he received enough star power to go from Bob to Robert.

Tech credits are equally important.

One of the greatest of black & white cinematographers, James Wong Howe (he also worked beautifully in three-strip Technicolor and the Eastman process), and whose work goes back to the silent era in 1919. One of his lost films is the 1923 Trail of the Lonesome Pine, which I'd love to see and hope someone will discover in storage somewhere.

Music is by Max Steiner.

Written by Niven Busch, who was married to Ms Wright.

That should be enough suggest that this is a great blind buy.

The film is also an interesting mash-up of western and noir, and I'd suggest that you go over here to read Jefferey Kauffman's 2012 review of the old Blu-ray.

Forensic - 9.5 (we'll forgive the dupes)

NSD - 9.75

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Olive Blu-ray - If you don't have a copy. Olive is OOP

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Pursued-Spec...8559434&sprefix=pursued+blu-ray,aps,77&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A personal favorite film of mine that I watched on Blu-ray a week ago. A significant improvement for me over the 2012 Blu-ray especially with Imogen Sara Smith's commentary and added subtitles. Here are my thoughts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film is also an interesting mash-up of western and noir, and I'd suggest that you go over here to read Jefferey Kauffman's 2012 review of the old Blu-ray.

Why should Grant Callum care if Jeb Rand live or die? Because Grant Callum was a sociopath that was held bent on killing off the entire Rand family.

Johannes S

Grip
Real Name
Johannes
Pursued, which was originally released by Raoul Walsh's home studio, Warner Bros. in 1947, somehow ended up over at Paramount, hence the new Kino release, which supplants the original (now out of print) Olive.

Watched it this morning. Wonderful film, perfect transfer.

No Paramount letdown this time.

Pursued was a United States Pictures production and only distributed by Warner. (like "The Enforcer" (1951) or "Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell")

Most United States Pictures releases are with Paramount now.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Watched it this morning. Wonderful film, perfect transfer.

No Paramount letdown this time.

Pursued was a United States Pictures production and only distributed by Warner. (like "The Enforcer" (1951) or "Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell")

Most United States Pictures releases are with Paramount now.

Lang's Cloak and Dagger - 1946 - is another USP title originally released by WB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drugstorecamera
Recent bookmarks