What's new

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wonderful. Hopefully Jackie Brown will follow suit. That's the more frustrating plaster.
…and not a great looking video on the current BluRay (looks a little hazy to me).

An observation about the scene in the cab, after Butch leaves the sports arena- the scene where he and the driver are exchanging names- a deleted scene has Esmerelda telling Butch what her name translates into. I would like to know why this line of dialog was cut from the finished film- Butch’s line- “I’m an American, honey. Our names don’t mean shit.”-
This line doesn’t completely make sense, and isn’t as funny without that line that was cut.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What is in the briefcase? Quentin Tarantino was gracious enough to "leave it to the viewer" to decide. But that son of a gun knows what it is (he has said so in numerous interviews) he just ain't saying.

I have my guess, and it's a good one.
I heard that it was a McGuffin.

Hitchcock fans will understand.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’ve never watched this movie in its entirety from beginning to end. That will be corrected once my 4K disc is delivered.
Could we please add an "amazed" emoji so that I can properly respond to this comment. Never mind. I found "astonished," which will do :emoji_astonished:

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Could we please add am "amazed" emoji so that I can properly respond to this comment. Never mind. I found "astonished," which will do :emoji_astonished:
Hey, nobody is perfect.:laugh: What can I say, I had this mental block about Tarantino movies that wasn't overcome until the Kill Bill and Jackie Brown movies.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'll probably pass on this one for a couple of reasons.

1. No Atmos - I'm not a fan of DTS-HD MA, and 5.1 at that
  2. According to Bluray.com, the UHD disc lack several of the extras found on the Blu Ray
Since audio is the same and the Blu Ray contains more features I'll just grab that and call it a day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

2. According to Bluray.com, the UHD disc lack several of the extras found on the Blu Ray
Since audio is the same and the Blu Ray contains more features I'll just grab that and call it a day.
I don't think there is a separate Blu-ray release coming out next week.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is the correct answer.
McGuffin or ...
McMuffin
1669757627493.png
:D Or maybe a Royale with cheese
1669757719498.png
or Mayor McCheese :D
1669757792080.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The movie was originally 5.1. I don't get the "no remixed audio, no sale" idea.

Since the included BD provides all the old extras, they're here - just not on the 4K disc itself.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Since the included BD provides all the old extras, they're here - just not on the 4K disc itself.

Atmos probably wouldn't suit Pulp Fiction anyway. Its a pretty front loaded analog to digital-era mix save for Jackrabbit Slims and the boxing match.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I think that's been what Paramount has done with all of their Miramax/Dimension releases.

I haven't really paid enough attention to that, but have they not released (or announced to release) any of them w/ no BD included at all (like some of their other 4K titles)?

Anyway, well, this will at least help us save some shelf space (or needing to replace the case to include the old BD instead)... :P

RE: steelbooks, I usually avoid those, but was briefly tempted to spring for the steelbooks for the Godfather films in 4K -- those do look very nice and might still look very nice if slightly worn/damaged in spots, but... I just couldn't do it (mainly because of those substantially compromised transfers and the message buying them might send to Paramount) despite the otherwise excellent CyberMonday deals for them, especially since that also wouldn't include the prior versions of Part 3 nor the separate bonus disc anyway.

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

It's just a matter of preference for me. DTS-HD MA mixes tend to be softer, requiring higher volume levels. Since the 2014 Blu Ray already contains the same mix and features, I see no reason to buy this release, especially given the minefield that is projector derived HDR.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
It's just a matter of preference for me. DTS-HD MA mixes tend to be softer, requiring higher volume levels. Since the 2014 Blu Ray already contains the same mix and features, I see no reason to buy this release, especially given the minefield that is projector derived HDR.
For a given track, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and LPCM are identical once the former two are decoded…

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't really paid enough attention to that, but have they not released (or announced to release) any of them w/ no BD included at all (like some of their other 4K titles)?
Unless I'm forgetting something, the only Miramax or Dimension movies that Paramount has released are Scream (1996), Scream 2 and Pulp Fiction. Scream on UHD didn't include a Blu-ray but the Blu-ray that was released separately by Paramount was the same disc as the old Lion's Gate one. Scream 2 had a Blu-ray included with the UHD and that Blu-ray was also the same the Lion's Gate disc. Apparently, Pulp Fiction is like Scream 2 where there's a UHD and an old Blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Can't comment on the audio but there is plenty of added detail to be had with the UHD release:

I would find it impossible to watch my old Blu-ray knowing that I am missing all that new detaIl which should be very visible on a properly adjusted projector, even in 1080p.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
What is in the briefcase? Quentin Tarantino was gracious enough to "leave it to the viewer" to decide. But that son of a gun knows what it is (he has said so in numerous interviews) he just ain't saying.

I have my guess, and it's a good one.

Since no one burst into flames, it seems reasonable to assume it's not what was in the Malibu's trunk in Repo Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks