What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

It's definitely worth catching. Fred MacMurray is prosecuting Barbara Stanwyck on a petty theft charge and when the trial breaks for Christmas, he springs for her bail, so she can spend it with her family. As it turns out, her family lives en route to his own Indiana homecoming, so he finds himself giving her a ride to a home where it turns out she's not welcome. That's just the beginning. From there, a charm rarely seen in Hollywood depictions of Midwestern life comes into play. Without giving away more details, let's just say that by the time the Christmas break is over, he's not so keen on winning his case.

Beulah Bondi, Elizabeth Patterson and Sterling Holloway are memorable as MacMurray's family back home in Indiana. Although it has its weaker moments, few other films capture the spirit of an old-fashioned American Christmas as well as this one does.

Universal would own the DVD rights and why it's not available is a mystery to me.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Oddly enough, JAG did an obvious homage/remake/rip-off REMEMBER THE NIGHT for one if their Xmas shows. The basic premise: Harm, the prosecuting attorney, has to take a woman thief home for the holidays when court is ajourned for Xmas recess. JAG has a continuing character named "Sturges."

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a nice set and a no-brainer if I didn't already own 3 of the titles. But I don't see myself selling off my Criterion's.

I might pick this up sometime next year. Too may big ticket releases to pay for right now.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis

And a bottle of w(h)ine(d) from me too. RELEASE "Easy Living" and "Remember The Night"...and while they're at it, "MIDNIGHT" from 1939.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks