What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Not to sound critical here, but is it really a massive issue if a player powers down after 20 whole minutes of being on pause? I get it would be nice to have the option to disable that, but if you pause for 20Mins you’re not really watching the movie

Before the pandemic (and, hopefully, continuing at some future date), my wife and I entertained up to 25 friends in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater (see my signature) on a regular basis. Since most of them (and us) are over the age of 60, it is common (and necessary) for us to pause the movie about halfway through so everyone can take a comfort break. Well, when you have 25 friends all wanting to use the restroom at the same time, plus the inevitable chit-chat that happens during the break (getting them back to their seats is sometimes like herding cats), it's all too easy to go past 20 minutes on pause.

I do not believe it is too much to ask for the manufacturer of a $1,000 4K Blu-ray player to add the ability for the user to turn OFF this automatic shut-down power-saving feature. This issue was brought to Panasonic's attention within days of the UB9000's release and Panasonic reps said they'd look into it. That was several years ago and they haven't done squat to address the issue (despite several firmware updates since). It would be SIMPLE for them to add the feature that many users have requested, yet they have completely ignored our requests. So, I will NEVER buy another Panasonic brand product.

Mark

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
If you ever feel you want to give away a flagship Panny UHD player, I’ll send you my shipping address.
Do you have an Oppo 203 you'd be willing to trade?

Better yet, if you can cure my 19-year-old Chigi of her ailments (or at least some of my wife's own health issues) so we don't have to pause a disc every 30 seconds, I'll not only give you my Panny player -- I'd be impressed.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Before the pandemic (and, hopefully, continuing at some future date), my wife and I entertained up to 25 friends in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater (see my signature) on a regular basis. Since most of them (and us) are over the age of 60, it is common (and necessary) for us to pause the movie about halfway through so everyone can take a comfort break. Well, when you have 25 friends all wanting to use the restroom at the same time, plus the inevitable chit-chat that happens during the break (getting them back to their seats is sometimes like herding cats), it's all too easy to go past 20 minutes on pause.

I do not believe it is too much to ask for the manufacturer of a $1,000 4K Blu-ray player to add the ability for the user to turn OFF this automatic shut-down power-saving feature. This issue was brought to Panasonic's attention within days of the UB9000's release and Panasonic reps said they'd look into it. That was several years ago and they haven't done squat to address the issue (despite several firmware updates since). It would be SIMPLE for them to add the feature that many users have requested, yet they have completely ignored our requests. So, I will NEVER buy another Panasonic brand product.

Mark
I even threw my two cents into this ring by explaining that we have an older dog that's ill, and that we need to regularly press pause on a disc to take care of her, leading to prolonged gaps in viewing (thus making that auto power off feature ridiculously annoying), but it went without any kind of empathetic emoji reaction; though, interestingly enough, a few here were quick to laugh at another individual's comment when he said he'd take my player off my hands if I was giving it away.

At any rate, I was one of the people who urged that document someone put together on AVS to be sent out to Panasonic engineering reps, and listed my other complaints about this "flagship" model that should be brought to the company's attention -- alas, as you said, the requests were completely ignored, enraging many of us even further. And I couldn't agree MORE that for the price they ask of this thing (it's even higher than 1K now, at least via Crutchfield), it is beyond ridiculous that they cannot address some issues via a firmware update.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael

Mark
Mark, I can sure understand your justified frustration over Panasonic giving you no answer that would show you they at least have some concern for your situation of their very expensive player automatically shutting off after 20 minutes of inactivity, which is an unwanted feature that certainly doesn't fit your use case.

IMO, Panasonic should show a LOT more sensitivity to the needs of folks like you, who are obviously much more serious about having high performing home theater gear, than the vast majority of folks are, since only a small % of people who view movies at home would even consider spending $1,000 to get a top grade player. I just can't figure out what's going on at Panasonic, or what any customer relations people that the company has, must be thinking. Since ignoring concerns of customers like you Mark, is just what it would be like for GM to ignore concerns of Cadillac owners!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just ordered the 4K version (not steelbook). It is my first Blu-ray purchase in almost a year. The film is currently unavailable for purchase on iTunes. If it was available in 4K on iTunes for $10, I'd likely have simply purchased that alone.

Mark
iTunes selling 4K digital for $7.99.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Mark, I can sure understand your justified frustration over Panasonic giving you no answer that would show you they at least have some concern for your situation of their very expensive player automatically shutting off after 20 minutes of inactivity, which is an unwanted feature that certainly doesn't fit your use case.

IMO, Panasonic should show a LOT more sensitivity to the needs of folks like you, who are obviously much more serious about having high performing home theater gear, than the vast majority of folks are, since only a small % of people who view movies at home would even consider spending $1,000 to get a top grade player. I just can't figure out what's going on at Panasonic, or what any customer relations people that the company has, must be thinking. Since ignoring concerns of customers like you Mark, is just what it would be like for GM to ignore concerns of Cadillac owners!
It doesn't fit a LOT of owners' uses and wants. Over the last couple of days, we've had to stop playback of our annual horror film watching during this month because our older dog with cognitive disabilities demanded attention from my wife and I for some reason or another. Instead of letting the player time out and shut off, I had to continuously go back to the remote and press a button to "wake the player up" -- absolutely RIDICULOUS for any disc player, let alone one of this caliber and price point.

To be fair, my Samsung LCD does something similar, even with all "eco" settings shut off -- if the TV is left idling on the blank input screen for too long (and we're talking about like 20 or so minutes, just like the Panasonic players), it too will shut itself off. I cannot STAND these non-overridable functions on newer electronics.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I imagine they're all concerned about possible "burn in" from equipment left on, and consumers expecting them to replace their damaged displays. They'd rather withstand a few complaints about things turning off too soon than possibly be liable for thousands of dollars in equipment replacements.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I imagine they're all concerned about possible "burn in" from equipment left on, and consumers expecting them to replace their damaged displays. They'd rather withstand a few complaints about things turning off too soon than possibly be liable for thousands of dollars in equipment replacements.
And brands like Oppo, Cambridge, Sony, Reavon, LG, et al weren't concerned about being liable for such things?

At the very LEAST, Malcom, they should have implemented a selectable, customizable turn off timer setting in the menu so that the user could select from 10 minutes, 20 minutes, one hour, etc.

Further, not everyone owns a display such as an OLED, and as such, burn in isn't at the top of mind for these owners.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd think they should just let the display makers deal w/ potential burn-in issues (on their actual displays) instead, if that's really the concern. IF so, this is a rather/overly "big brother" approach to "helping" an issue that should be better dealt with/by (and the responsibility of) the display makers, not disc player makers (even though Panasonic also separately makes displays).

Anyhoo, unfortunately, we've probably beaten this OT dead horse more than enough over here in this thread...

_Man_

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I'd think they should just let the display makers deal w/ potential burn-in issues (on their actual displays) instead, if that's really the concern. IF so, this is a rather/overly "big brother" approach to "helping" an issue that should be better dealt with/by (and the responsibility of) the display makers, not disc player makers (even though Panasonic also separately makes displays).
Couldn't agree more.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
There’s a specific thread dedicated to Panasonic UHD playback issues. You might want to move the discussion there.
As to Poltergeist, I finally showed it to two of the nephews Saturday night, and they were really thrilled with it, having never seen it before. What a great way to introduce it to them; sound and picture were terrific. Fortunately there was no playback glitch on the Sony X800M2 (I have the steelbook edition).

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
There’s a specific thread dedicated to Panasonic UHD playback issues. You might want to move the discussion there.
Yeah, that was created for me by staff here, including the thread title.
As to Poltergeist, I finally showed it to two of the nephews Saturday night, and they were really thrilled with it, having never seen it before. What a great way to introduce it to them; sound and picture were terrific. Fortunately there was no playback glitch on the Sony X800M2 (I have the steelbook edition).
Gave this a final spin for the season, being that I originally received a defective copy from Best Buy, to see if it would act up after three plays (because many times this happens with UHD media for some reason), and it played with no issues.

s-l1600.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recently watched the 4k, which I enjoyed a lot. Then I watched the extras… Oh boy. I have to say that those extras, especially the two-part about the “real life” paranormal, are just about the worst extras I’ve ever seen on a disc. None of the people interviewed were the least bit credible.

In the future, I will only be watching the movie.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Probably too hard to get supplements about Poltergeist itself considering the curse and the ongoing director controversy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, in the little 7-minute doc that was made for HBO or whatever, Spielberg is the only one who talks and from the BTS action, he sure looks like he’s directing. Even the narration says “from Steven Spielberg…” etc. It’s not like Hooper was an unknown! He directed a cult favorite! There is footage of him too, but the focus is on Spielberg.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Well, in the little 7-minute doc that was made for HBO or whatever, Spielberg is the only one who talks and from the BTS action, he sure looks like he’s directing. Even the narration says “from Steven Spielberg…” etc. It’s not like Hooper was an unknown! He directed a cult favorite! There is footage of him too, but the focus is on Spielberg.
The studio really downplayed Hooper to their public detriment. At the time THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was not part of the mainstream media culture as it is today. The one shot that I knew Spielberg must have directed in POLTERGEIST the first time I saw it was the close-ups of the remote cars driving through the spraying beer cans. Years later I found a Starlog that literally confirms he direcetd second-unit -- including that shot. So for people to claim Spielberg didn't direct anything is as silly to claim he directed the whole film. The movie is still Hooper's and when I met him at a party he told me Spielberg just called him to direct an episode of his UFO show. A sweet guy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The studio really downplayed Hooper to their public detriment. At the time THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was not part of the mainstream media culture as it is today. The one shot that I knew Spielberg must have directed in POLTERGEIST the first time I saw it was the close-ups of the remote cars driving through the spraying beer cans. Years later I found a Starlog that literally confirms he direcetd second-unit -- including that shot. So for people to claim Spielberg didn't direct anything is as silly to claim he directed the whole film. The movie is still Hooper's and when I met him at a party he told me Spielberg just called him to direct an episode of his UFO show. A sweet guy.

Yeah even if TCM legacy was as cemented back then as it is today. Hooper was never a widely recognized name to general audiences, certainly nowhere near where Spielberg was. So clearly any EPK material was going to have Spielberg as the focal point. And as most people who have followed the history of the film knows that Spielberg was very hands on. I’ve also heard that Hooper had booze/coke problems at the time (don’t know how true it is) but I guess there couldn’t have been too much animosity since Hooper and Spielberg did work together again on a couple of occasions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks