What's new

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One detail I'd never noticed before: In the final shot of the movie, the last hotel room door we see is room 217. Could this have been an intentional reference to The Shining (the book, not the movie where the room number was changed to 237), or just an interesting coincidence? :blink:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Going to the TCM in-theater event this weekend here in NYC to get the full strobe light / Carol Anne running-around-the-ceiling sound effects in a dark theater. Saw it back in 1982 at the Cinerama near Times Square and I’ll never forget it. One of my all time favorite fun films.

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
If anyone has their disc freeze around approx 13:52-13:52, please post along with model 4K player.

Oppo UDP 205 here
I’ve went thru 3 4Ks both froze around that time stamp.

Another person stated their disc on oppo 203 didn’t freeze when they watched it first time but did the second time they watched it at that same time stamp.

Someone else with model LG UBK90 reported freezing at approx same time stamp.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If anyone has their disc freeze around approx 13:52-13:52, please post along with model 4K player.

Oppo UDP 205 here

Another person stated their disc on oppo 203 didn’t freeze when they watched it first time but did the second time they watched it at that same time stamp.

There was an initial thought that this might have been linked only to steelbooks, which I’d not been able to figure out, but now appears to be universal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Oppo UDP 205 here

No issues with my Oppo 203. I played the disc a couple of times. When I get a chance, I'll play it on my other Oppo 203 player. I probably should check it on my Panny 820 player.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
New report of freezing error on ‪player model LG UP870‬

I think many passed up on the steelbook, no one really liked either artwork haha but since the discs are all freezing around that same time stop, it is for sure a real issue.

Hopefully WB will look into it and offer disc replacements. I went thru 3 discs from amazon myself. None work properly

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I assume, all these are US discs, right?
I wonder if the UK one that I'm after, will freeze too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Oppo UDP 205 here

Did you try the usual disc cleaning protocol(s)? 4K discs do often enough seem to come w/ some (at times hard to see/notice) dirt/film/gunk and are apparently super-sensitive/susceptible to playback issues w/ the slightest such obstacles, imperfections, etc...

And yes, such can certainly lead to fairly consistent playback issues often involving disc layer change...

_Man_

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Did you try the usual disc cleaning protocol(s)? 4K discs do often enough seem to come w/ some (at times hard to see/notice) dirt/film/gunk and are apparently super-sensitive/susceptible to playback issues w/ the slightest such obstacles, imperfections, etc...

And yes, such can certainly lead to fairly consistent playback issues often involving disc layer change...

_Man_

Yep, did the whole wiping off of complete mint looking brand new disc. all the latest firmware etc.
This is clearly an issue that sadly occurs across multiple models of 4K players.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Regular reports of player problems continues to convince me to keep waiting to get a UHD player.

What regular reports of problems do you mean? I haven't really seen such in the last couple years -- usually, it's just discs needing to be cleaned. :confused:

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What regular reports of problems do you mean? I haven't really seen such in the last couple years -- usually, it's just discs needing to be cleaned. :confused:

_Man_
I'm not keeping track because I don't have a player but I frequently see people in UHD threads say that "My disc didn't work" or "My disc skips at X:XX" or "I had to return my copy two times to get one that worked." It never seems widespread but that it happens enough that I notice it is waaaaaay too much.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Todd just posted his review and didn't mention anything about his disc glitching.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Another person reported the freeze / glitch around the same spot over at blu-ray.com

His model player Magnavox - MBP6700P
He mentioned his disc was from the steelbook but all the other instances I’ve read seem to be from the standard case version. So I don’t think the case has anything to do with it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not keeping track because I don't have a player but I frequently see people in UHD threads say that "My disc didn't work" or "My disc skips at X:XX" or "I had to return my copy two times to get one that worked." It never seems widespread but that it happens enough that I notice it is waaaaaay too much.

Almost all cases I've seen reported of such seem likely to just be discs needing to be cleaned (unless there's a visible scratch/damage, flaw or the like) -- if the person reporting such actually did the cleaning, the issue is almost always resolved (again, assuming there's no visible damage/flaw to the disc).

There were probably enough reports that some of the older Sony and especially Samsung players (from over ~2 years ago) weren't reliable, but otherwise, I haven't seen any that actually traces back to the player itself or the authoring or manufacturing of discs (beyond issues of some dirt/film/gunk getting on discs whether during manufacturing or warehouse storage or transit or such).

Honestly, both Sony and especially Samsung always seemed to have more reliability issues than some of the other big names even back in the earlier days of DVD and BD players, not just 4K players. I'd never buy a Samsung player because of how unreliable and lacking in after-sales support they always seemed. Sony I've given a shot for each format in some variation, eg. DVD drive kit for PC for my 1st foray into DVD, which was never all that reliable, especially for dual layer DVDs, PS3 for BD, which the optical drive completely failed after ~1 year, and then the X700 player for 4K, which I didn't have any problems like some did... though I only used it sporadically for ~1 year (before moving onto a Panny 420).

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Another person reported the freeze / glitch around the same spot over at blu-ray.com

His model player Magnavox - MBP6700P
He mentioned his disc was from the steelbook but all the other instances I’ve read seem to be from the standard case version. So I don’t think the case has anything to do with it.

Didn't even know Magnavox's still making (or more likely just rebranding somebody else's) disc players at all.

I certainly wouldn't wanna buy their 4K players...

_Man_

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered the 4K version (not steelbook). It is my first Blu-ray purchase in almost a year. The film is currently unavailable for purchase on iTunes. If it was available in 4K on iTunes for $10, I'd likely have simply purchased that alone.

Mark

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I don’t know if I would necessarily call this a horror film. It’s unique in that it’s like going into a spook house at an amusement park. It’s both scary AND funny. One of my favorite films. Great direction, performances, editing and music. The best!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just ordered the 4K version (not steelbook). It is my first Blu-ray purchase in almost a year. The film is currently unavailable for purchase on iTunes. If it was available in 4K on iTunes for $10, I'd likely have simply purchased that alone.

Mark
Mark

It looks like iTunes is doing some housecleaning as there were two 4K digitals of Poltergeist yesterday. One wasn’t available for purchase which was the old HD digital that upgraded to 4K. That’s still in my digital library. The other 4K digital was recently added that you could purchase for $9.99 as recently as yesterday. It’s now gone which tells me they’re doing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks