What's new

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As the two blu-rays appear to be different, with so far the MGM being reported as superior, it would be helpful for this discussion if everyone could specify which blu-ray they are referring to.
I was referring to the MGM Blu-ray.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Caps-a-holic seems to support the MGM preference. Shout looks like it should be named wax factory. I own the MGM and iTunes 4K. I'll have to take a look.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The thing is I would’ve gotten the Shout Blu-ray if I hadn’t had the MGM one. I think Shout usually does an excellent job.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Floyd and Sam: As the two blu-rays appear to be different, with so far the MGM being reported as superior, it would be helpful for this discussion if everyone could specify which blu-ray they are referring to.
I was referring to the 2011 MGM version.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I'm hearing similar comments about several 80s films transferred to 4K. Fatal Attraction appears to suffer the same fate as Platoon. Has anyone discerned a pattern and causation?
The 2011 MGM Blu-ray doesn't get great reviews here, was a better job done later or for other regions?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm hearing similar comments about several 80s films transferred to 4K. Fatal Attraction appears to suffer the same fate as Platoon. Has anyone discerned a pattern and causation?
The 2011 MGM Blu-ray doesn't get great reviews here, was a better job done later or for other regions?
RAH has given Fatal Attraction 4K disc a Highly Recommended.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My memory of the Shout BD is that it has the same pitfalls you describe for the 4K. Maybe the new 4K edition amplifies those pitfalls, but I think it’s the same, supposedly Stone-approved master. Perhaps the original MGM disc is the way to go.
I doubt it amplifies the pitfalls, but it definitely asks you to pay a small premium for them compared to the blu-ray. :)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I have an overriding belief that when a 4k release arrives, allowing certain hiccups for early scans and releases before HDR application was understood, that any new 4k release should blow everything that came before out of the water.

Any new 4k should look precisely akin to its analogue film or digital roots. Which is why seeing things like Platoon, Godfather, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and a handful of others are totally unnecessary and wasteful of one’s time, funds and the environment.

If a new 4k release isn‘t special, it has no reason to be, except as a money grab.
Well if the 4K of The Godfather was personally overseen and signed off by director Francis Coppola what are we saying here? I’ve read nothing but exemplary reviews elsewhere and viewed it myself. If Coppola felt the need to slightly reduce grain in order for Gordon Willis’ cinematography which by its nature of the technology of the time was overloaded with it so it could shine now so be it. But to lump that in with travesties like this and TMWSLV seems a little of a mismatch. This reads like it’s not worth the release. Sorry if this has been discussed/ explained before or if I’m misinterpreting above. .

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Well if the 4K of The Godfather was personally overseen and signed off by director Francis Coppola what are we saying here? I’ve read nothing but exemplary reviews elsewhere and viewed it myself. If Coppola felt the need to slightly reduce grain in order for Gordon Willis’ cinematography which by its nature of the technology of the time was overloaded with it so it could shine now so be it. But to lump that in with travesties like this and TMWSLV seems a little of a mismatch. This reads like it’s not worth the release. Sorry if this has been discussed/ explained before or if I’m misinterpreting above. .

There's a lengthy thread about The Godfather 4K controversy here:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Haven't seen the Shout Blu or 4K, but I think I read that Oliver Stone supervised the 4K remastering, so presumably he's the one who wanted it this way. Shout has had their hiccups, but I don't think this one is their fault. They probably had to use what was given to them by the licensor.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have the original MGM disc and the Shout remaster. I don’t have the new 4K disc, but I do have it on iTunes. I compared them all and the MGM is clearly the best. I don’t claim to remember exactly what the release prints looked like in 1986, but nothing about the MGM looks “off” to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the original MGM disc and the Shout remaster. I don’t have the new 4K disc, but I do have it on iTunes. I compared them all and the MGM is clearly the best. I don’t claim to remember exactly what the release prints looked like in 1986, but nothing about the MGM looks “off” to me.
Best as far as what parameters?

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
What gets me is how they took the The Green Mile, almost totally degrained it for 4K, and while it might not be what I’d have preferred, the detail is fantastic and it just looks amazing. Yet so many other releases look like wax. Why is that? Does Warner have some kind of secret sauce?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks