What's new
Real Name
steven alejandro
It’s sometimes extremely difficult to tell what one is looking at once a film has been processed digitally.

While film doesn’t lie, digital does it readily.

Two people can scan the same element on the same scanner, and come away with one that looks like an original 35mm print, which the other can look like up-rezzed VHS.
Does the person who futzed up your display before you viewed the 4K of Casablanca also work at Paramount?
Paramount is now the "Hold my beer," entrant with Mill Creek and the old Universal home video depts.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I have the HDX version on VUDU and it looks like they have changed it to the new transfer. After doing some comparisons with the current 1080p disc the VUDU stream looks better IMO. The ringing/sharpening, digital look of the 1080p disc is gone, contrast looks better too. If I don't get the 4k disc this new HDX version will be my go to for watching in the future.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have the HDX version on VUDU and it looks like they have changed it to the new transfer. After doing some comparisons with the current 1080p disc the VUDU stream looks better IMO. The ringing/sharpening, digital look of the 1080p disc is gone, contrast looks better too. If I don't get the 4k disc this new HDX version will be my go to for watching in the future.

Hmmm... Wonder how's the iTunes version as I (and many others) generally prefer iTunes... You're referring to PTaA, not TCaT, right?

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmmm... Wonder how's the iTunes version as I (and many others) generally prefer iTunes... You're referring to PTaA, not TCaT, right?

_Man_
See my post 125

Well my iTunes digital copy just upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision and just doing a preliminary comparison between the HD version and the 4K on my OLED, the HD looks brighter and more pleasing. The 4K looks darker and muted. And I really couldn’t discern any difference in resolution or detail.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
If I didn't know better, I'd think the studio sometimes intentionally allows a subpar transfer to reach the market just so they will have an excuse/get people clamoring for them to reissue the title in yet another "newly restored" edition, probably just in time for Thanksgivng '23 (or '24)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If I didn't know better, I'd think the studio sometimes intentionally allows a subpar transfer to reach the market just so they will have an excuse/get people clamoring for them to reissue the title in yet another "newly restored" edition, probably just in time for Thanksgivng '23 (or '24)
That should be a replacement program.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
See my post 125

Well my iTunes digital copy just upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision and just doing a preliminary comparison between the HD version and the 4K on my OLED, the HD looks brighter and more pleasing. The 4K looks darker and muted. And I really couldn’t discern any difference in resolution or detail.

Did you also compare the 4K digital? I guess that looks just like the 4K disc then?

Since it sounds like there's no meaningful improvement, maybe I'll just wait til FanFlix includes the 4K digital on one of their Buy-3-for-$10 sales or something (and just keep going w/ my old BD until then)... :P

Thanks!

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Fortunately (I guess), Paramount's become so very often subpar w/ their catalog releases for so very long (since at least the early days of BD) that they wouldn't be fooling too many if that were the case. AND IF ONLY that were indeed so...

_Man_

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the screencap comparisons; the UHD BD has such an odd blurred look to it. It's well beyond even using the word "soft". That is just major incompetence whether it's an older transfer or not. Lots of older 2K transfers look far better than that. At least the edge enhancement and contrast boosting is gone, but that blurring look is so bad.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I watched the UHD yesterday for Thanksgiving. Maybe I should credit this thread (and Paramount's general track record) for setting my expectations low, but I did not hate the disc. Yes, it looks like an average Blu-ray and, no, it does not take advantage of UHD's capabilities at all. And yes, Steve Martin's face very occasionally looks like it has been smeared with Vaseline. All that said, I feared an atrocity like Platoon or a blasphemy like The Godfather Parts I and II, and this was not that. It looked...fine, certainly watchable, and the presentation did not detract from my enjoyment of the film in any way.

I did not previously own a copy, so I am happy to add the disc to my library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks