What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Phantom of the Opera -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

For those of you who are about to throw your hands up in the air, because yet another version of Rupert Julian's ultra-classic The Phantom of the Opera has landed on Blu-ray, my advice would be, don't.

Instead, head to your nearest purveyor of Blu-rays -- it's currently on pre-order over at Amazon for $28 -- and grab a copy.

This is not another grab for a skew, or a means of getting placed near the checkout counters at your local Walmart or Target at Halloween.

This is the real thing.

Sourced by Blackhawk and Lobster Films, the new release has representations of every possible version of the film, some incomplete as they don't survive, but as a main feature, this Phantom is absolutely gorgeous.

Taken from 35mm elements, with original tints, tones, representations of Handschiegl color and as the proverbial cherry on top, two-color Technicolor.

A great, classic film, that beautifully stands the test of time.

No serious collection can be complete without a copy of this Phantom.

Did I mention multiple projection speeds?

Image - 4.5

Audio - N/A

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Is the quality better than the BFi and the Image versions? I thought the Image version was outstanding. Love this film and my dream is that one day they will be able to make a nice transfer out the 16mm 1925 version. It is always shortchanged in standard def and smeary-looking. It is possible that's the best that can be done with it? Also, why no Carl Davis soundtrack? Why is it blurays are not using his soundtracks for all of these like they did on the laserdiscs. He has got to be the greatest silent film composer of all time! His soundtracks quite often MAKE these films. Especially THE THIEF OF BAGDAD and THE EAGLE.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
warnerbro said:
Is the quality better than the BFi and the Image versions? I thought the Image version was outstanding. Love this film and my dream is that one day they will be able to make a nice transfer out the 16mm 1925 version. It is always shortchanged in standard def and smeary-looking. It is possible that's the best that can be done with it? Also, why no Carl Davis soundtrack? Why is it blurays are not using his soundtracks for all of these like they did on the laserdiscs. He has got to be the greatest silent film composer of all time! His soundtracks quite often MAKE these films. Especially THE THIEF OF BAGDAD and THE EAGLE.
The Kino is a terrific Blu.

As to Mr. Davis' work, "greatest silent film composer of all time," may be a bit of an overstatement. Especially since numerous original scores may not survive.

In my opinion, he has done some superb work, but beyond that, comparisons are difficult.

RAH

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert for the confirmation. For whatever reason when I viewed your post at work yesterday there was no Amazon link.

Really looking forward to this and the multiple versions.

For me, Phantom is one of the really compelling silent films along with Metropolis, M and Dr. Faustus.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Is the 1925 version in HD or SD?

There were two issues that made me replace the previous Image release with the BFI. The BFI had the 1925 version in HD, while image was SD. And the Thiboudeaux soundtrack was way out of sync through the opening sequences with the dancers. Hopefully these problems have been corrected.

I wish someone would correct the frame rate scene by scene to make the speed of the silent speed scenes line up with the speed of the sound speed ones. With them switching back and forth, selecting a frame rate is like a choice between Keystone cops and lugubrious pacing. This movie could really use some editing work to cobble together an ultimate edition that includes everything from all the versions presented at its best.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Love this film. I'm so thankful they have preserved it even in this 1929/30 version. It is sharp and quite detailed. Anyone out there correct me if I'm wrong on the history of this: Universal destroyed all copies of this film when they converted their studio to sound. This was their habit in order to extract the silver out of the silent films they considered worthless now that the public only wanted sound. A 16mm copy of the 1925 version had gone out to private home viewers and this is all we have of the 1925 version. In 1929 Universal made a new sound release of Phantom of the Opera where sound and some dialogue was added and a few new scenes. The Phantom character however had no dialogue added per Chaney's contract and non-involvement. Apparently no one is completely sure, but It is believed that the beautiful 35mm print we now have is some version of this 1929/30 version that might have been used for a basis for a silent overseas printing with title cards. The masked ball sequence Technicolor negative has somehow survived and has been inserted into this version. The second half of this sequence where the lovers head up to the roof and come down and see the Phantom in the hall has been computer colorized to replicate the complete version of this sequence which no longer exists. The ballet sequence at the beginning is a new scene filmed in 1929 and added. The original 1925 Technicolor ballet sequence has been lost. Apparently the original 1925 version was very long and considered boring when previewed in San Francisco. Universal rushed back into the studio, refilmed many sequences, recut the film and refilmed the ending with a more exciting chase-type sequence. The original ending where the Phantom was found dead at his organ was cut and is now lost. There is a photo of this scene that still exists. Anyone with knowledge please correct me if I am in error on any point and feel free to add your knowledge to the discussion. I am fascinated by the mysterious history of this outstanding film.

tumblr_mvipldpoTo1rdfgw4o1_r1_400.gif

phan-19-firstending-promo-600px.jpg
2-phantom-of-the-opera-1925-granger.jpg

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
What are the music options on this release? Has there ever been one with the actual original score?

I only ask because the Egyptian in Hollywood is screening a 16mm print on Oct. 10, with a live performance of the original 1925 score.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
"For me, Phantom is one of the really compelling silent films along with Metropolis, M and Dr. Faustus."

Hi Douglas,

If you turn the volume up next time you watch M, you'll find it's not actually a silent film... and "Dr. Faustus." is actually titled Faust. Apart from that, you're spot on! ;)

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't remember if the title was Faust or Dr. Faustus and my disc is waaay down in the basement.

OMG, how embarrassing about M. I haven't watched it since I got the last restored version which was a few years ago.

Sheesh.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Don't worry man: it was a bit naughty of me to flag it up... Naturally I'm now open to you or anyone else gleefully correcting me as soon as I make a booboo or two!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm going to stick with the BFI disc that I already own. There is a new review of the Kino disc that states that the 1925 version is unconverted 1080i. As the BFI has it in true 1080p, I think I've got the advantage there. The only advantage of the Kino disc is the option of two different film speeds. The running time of the BFI disc is 91 minutes, so I guess that I have the 20fps version?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
PotO was assembled from surviving bits by two different teams, so the BFI is a slightly different cut than the Kino. They both have things the other one doesn't. The running times don't line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks