What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pet Sematary is a difficult film to review, as auto-correct continuously attempts to have its way with the title.

The 1989 original, directed by Mary Lambert, isn't the kind of film I would normally watch. Therefore my comments will not apply to the masses who probably love it.

To me, it doesn't hold up, or alternatively, was never a good film.

It is, however, a necessity for Stephen King completists.

And for those folks, it's terrific news, as Paramount's new 4k Blu-ray is gorgeous. Highly resolved, with inky blacks, and beautiful color.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA, is rich and full.

Nary a problem in sight.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - absolutely!

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My teenage self liked this film a lot more than my current self. I tried to watch some of it on cable recently and didn't stick with it for very long. All the acting aside from Fred Gwynne (and Church) was pretty awful.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
... All the acting aside from Fred Gwynne (and Church) was pretty awful.
just about it. I miss Herman Munster. I wish he was around to cameo at least. The new Church looks fantastic though.

The first big disappointment for me after becoming a fan of KIng's stuff was this awful movie. The book along with IT was a favorite. Also Misery. All read when I was in my late teens or near 20 before seeing the movies. Luckily they got 2 out of 3 right. I started watching the movie for laughs but soon after found that people actually liked and even loved the movie. Couldn't believe it.

The new one sure looks like it's getting some things right. The whole Wicker Man vibe is terrific. Can't wait!

Now, Talisman... please. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The new Church. Look at that freakin right EYE! Losing sleep already.. hope it lives up.

New-Church.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
just about it. I miss Herman Munster. I wish he was around to cameo at least. The new Church looks fantastic though.

The first big disappointment for me after becoming a fan of KIng's stuff was this awful movie. The book along with IT was a favorite. Also Misery. All read when I was in my late teens or near 20 before seeing the movies. Luckily they got 2 out of 3 right. I started watching the movie for laughs but soon after found that people actually liked and even loved the movie. Couldn't believe it.

The new one sure looks like it's getting some things right. The whole Wicker Man vibe is terrific. Can't wait!

Now, Talisman... please. :)

The tale seems more based upon The Monkey’s Paw.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought this film was laughably inept when it was first released in 1989.

“No fair”. Whaaaaaaaa:emoji_tired_face:

I doubt I would think it has improved.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on opening night in 11th grade. Had a blast as the theater was full of kids my age so lots of screams, laughs, etc. As a result, the movie always had nostalgia for me and I will be picking it up. I never thought it was a bad movie although the last 20 minutes started to push it a little.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on opening night in 11th grade. Had a blast as the theater was full of kids my age so lots of screams, laughs, etc. As a result, the movie always had nostalgia for me...
I have a similar nostalgia for it. It's not a great movie but I remember me and a friend renting it when I was in elementary school and being scared so it holds a spot in my heart.

The best thing about the movie is that there's a couple of songs from the Ramones.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I also have the same feelings on this movie for the most part. While it is a nostalgic piece for me and while it is not the best movie out there it is also not that bad. There are far worse movies out there and given that I never got around to owning this title I for sure will be picking up the 4K release soon.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I've always loved this film. I don't think there is anything wrong with the acting; it's not Academy Award material or anything but the film remains a very faithful adaptation of the book. A mini-series would have done an even better job but still one of the most accurate King adaptations out there.

I won't be buying the 4K version because I don't have a 4K TV or player but I've owned the film since VHS and I'm very happy with my Blu-Ray copy.

A bit off topic but I recently watched Gerald's Game on Netflix which was directed by the same guy who is making the Doctor Sleep film that's coming out later this year (Mike Flanagan). If GG is anything to go by, we're in for a treat.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought this film was laughably inept when it was first released in 1989.

“No fair”. Whaaaaaaaa:emoji_tired_face:

I doubt I would think it has improved.

I watched the 4K the other day and couldn't even remember if I ever saw this version.

If I did, I forgot it - for good reason, as it's a pretty weak film. Felt more like a TV movie than a big screen affair.

There are definitely worse King adaptations, but that's more of an indictment of all the bad King-based films than a plug for this one...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The strong suit of the film is how creepy it is. One weak part of it is I didn’t believe that the couple with the young child would buy a house on a road that had constant traffic and semis speeding by the house.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The tale seems more based upon The Monkey’s Paw.

It absolutely is. The book is occasionally quite frightening (especially -- for this Mainer -- regarding the legend of the Wendigo). The first movie is one of the two dozen awful King adaptations produced during the 70's-80's. I have not yet seen the new one, but might rent it later. Don't wanna waste ten bucks on a remake of a terrible movie...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The strong suit of the film is how creepy it is. One weak part of it is I didn’t believe that the couple with the young child would buy a house on a road that had constant traffic and semis speeding by the house.

"In 1978, King returned to his alma mater, the University of Maine at Orono, to teach for a year as a gesture of gratitude for the education he had received there. During this time his family rented a house on a busy road in Orrington. The road claimed the lives of a number of pets, and the neighborhood children had created a pet cemetery in a field near the Kings' home. King's daughter Naomi buried her cat "Smucky" there after it was hit, and shortly thereafter their son Owen had a close call running toward the road."

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon

The novel was based on King's own experience of living in a similar house with a young family and a near accident. He regards the novel as the most frightening book he's written and the only reason it got published was because he used the manuscript to finish up a deal with a publisher he wanted to leave.

It absolutely is. The book is occasionally quite frightening (especially -- for this Mainer -- regarding the legend of the Wendigo). The first movie is one of the two dozen awful King adaptations produced during the 70's-80's. I have not yet seen the new one, but might rent it later. Don't wanna waste ten bucks on a remake of a terrible movie...

This is the first I've heard of a PS remake. Just googled it and I don't like the sound of John Lithgow as Jud Crandall. I don't think the role is for him at all but I'll give him the chance to prove me wrong.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
that's nice about PET SEMATARY's 4K from Paramount. but Robert, what is the deal with Paramount? why so many famous titles left hanging when it comes to Blu-ray restoration and upgrade? THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, ORDINARY PEOPLE, RAGTIME, ROMAN HOLIDAY, MOMMIE DEAREST, DRAGONSLAYER, THE ELEPHANT MAN, ATLANTIC CITY, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, ROMEO & JULIET, PAPER MOON, LADY SINGS THE BLUES, CATCH 22.....and the list goes on. what's going on with one of the great studios? no interest in their great library?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks