What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Penny Dreadful -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Penny Dreadfuls were mid-nineteenth century small paper-backed literature, in many cases serials, which although of more sensational qualities, were in line with Mr. Dickens' publications of the same era, which brought many of his great works to the public.

The theme rang out to me, probably aided by huge billboards along Highland Blvd, and I attempted to view the first few shows by the only means possible to me -- a Samsung tablet running the Showtime app.

Problem was, size aside, that the imagery I was viewing was probably 720, and limited to 12 or so frames per second.  Possibly less.  But not up to any standards.

From what I could tell from what I was seeing the show was well-shot, and certainly interesting.

Five or so months later, a Blu-ray arrives, and gives me everything I might have asked for.

Great, huge audio, in Dolby TrueHD;

Brilliant imagery, with absolute blacks, great shadow detail and perfect color.

Everything I was unable to see originally, is now available in my preferred means of viewing - Blu-ray, which puts cable and broadcast to shame.

Photographed with an Arri Alexa, Penny Dreadful is brilliant in every way possible when it comes to the image that hits your screen via Blu-ray.

The series will not be to all tastes, but for those of us who grew up on 75 minute Universal horror films in broadcast, it may just hit the spot.

A truly brilliant Blu-ray.

Recommended.

RAH

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Shows like "Boardwalk Empire" and "Mad Men" are always better on Blu-Ray in every way than when they're broadcast, even in HD. I enjoyed "Penny Dreadful" quite a bit, and watching each episode I couldn't stop thinking how much better the Blu-Ray would be, except whenever Eva Green was up to something. I could stop thinking then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll be reviewing the season Blu-ray box set a bit closer to street date (October 14th). Always appreciate reading RAH's views on these shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks