What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Passport to Pimlico - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yet another of the brilliant Ealing comedies, the 1949 Passport to Pimlico, reminds me in an odd way of a bit in Alfred Hitchcock's 1941 Mr. & Mrs. Smith, in which a happy couple, Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery, are informed that via a technicality, their marriage never legally occurred.

If you've never seen that film...

I'll not go into the political antics of Passport, but akin to Sir Alfred's film, for those who have not experienced Passport, the pressing health advisories may be a great time to remedy the situation, as it can be delivered to your place of choice.

Film Movement's new Blu-ray is presumably the same as the earlier UK R2 release, and is generally fine.

Henry Cornelius, who directed, has credits in editorial going back to The Ghost Goes West, with full editing credit on The Drum, The Four Feathers, et al.

Passport was his first directorial effort. He later directed Genevieve in Technicolor.

With no original negative surviving, Film Movement's new Blu-ray is a nice effort based upon extant film elements.

Image - 4

Audio - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

moviepas

Supporting Actor
A few years ago, but in living memory, I read about a lab fire at a known film laboratory in London? where a number of Ealing negatives were involved and lost but never saw any list. The same applies to a lab fire that impacted on Hammer Films elements being restored and some missing material coming from Japan. A bit vague but might provide some answers.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks