What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Outcast of the Islands - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always had an appreciation for the British cinema, and aeons ago had a friend, Al Kilgore, who was a major collectors of 16mm prints of the greatest films to be seen.

As I recall, it was Al who loaned me a print of Outcast of the Islands, directed by Carol Reed, and released in 1951.

Based upon Conrad, it follows an English gent who falls for the tropics - as well as a wonderfully natural native girl.

In some odd ways, it's always reminded me of the 1950 British Technicolor version of The Blue Lagoon, as directed by Frank Launder and shot by Geoffrey Unsworth, possibly because of the location shoot in Fiji. Much of Outcast was shot in Ceylon (Sri Lanka).

An interesting side fact. The film was shot by two of the greats, Edward Scaife, and John Wilcox.

Their camera operators, future DPs...

Freddie Francis and Ted Moore.

Kino's new Blu-ray is a quality affair, with no problems of note. Gray scale, grain structure, are fine.

Never seen the film projected in 35mm, so this Blu-ray is a treat.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - I'm unaware of a DVD release, at least domestically

Highly Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I noticed two stars from his previous film The Third Man are in it Trevor Howard & Wilfrid Hyde-White. I love British cinema too and I did see Odd Man Out a few weeks ago and recently purchased Our Man In Havana so I will check this one out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I noticed two stars from his previous film The Third Man are in it Trevor Howard & Wilfrid Hyde-White. I love British cinema too and I did see Odd Man Out a few weeks ago and recently purchased Our Man In Havana so I will check this one out.
The character Trevor Howard plays in The Third Man will not prepare you for the one he plays in Outcast Of The Islands! Different is an understatement. Trevor Howard was a marvellous actor with a very wide range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks