What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Our Man in Havana -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If there ever was an odd couple, it might be Noel Coward and Ernie Kovacs, who appear together here, for their first (and only) time.

The cast of Our Man in Havana, beyond Sir Noel and Mr. Kovacs, reads like a dream cast for a normal filmmaker, but Carol Reed was generally able to get anyone he desired for his work, as Maureen O'Hara and Ralph Richardson join the fray.

To top that off, it's based upon the work of Graham Greene, the author, as opposed to the actor.

The film, which at it's most base level, concerns a vacuum cleaner salesman in Cuba, who is brought into the service of the British Secret Service.

Filmed on location in just-post Castro Cuba, it's a wonderfully witty tale set within a white-suited, highly humidified turf.

Speaking of steamy, it doesn't get much more-so than Jo Morrow seen in equestrian garb, normally worn by the horse.

All of that steam, along with gorgeous blacks and a myriad of other shades, are all captured in magnificent black & white, by the great Oswald Morris, who could also work with color film, as he did with Sir Carol in the magnificent Oliver!, and for other filmmakers for Moby Dick, Taming of the Shrew and The Guns of Navarone.

Columbia's work here is exemplary, supplying Twilight Time with a gorgeous master from which they could create their Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Somehow or other it fell to me to read the Graham Greene novel before my first time seeing the film. What a great pleasure that was, and I recommend it highly to anyone who still enjoys the printed page. But how much richer, then, was my first trip through the film. It's a genius adaptation, and I will now relish my first trip through the Blu-ray. I must also refresh my memory of a scene involving a horse.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I've never seen this film. But no matter. It's a definite "Blind-Buy", anyway.
And it's all due to 3 little names;
Carol Reed, Oswald Morris and Mr. Grover Crisp.:cool:

Thanks, TT:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Excellent film and to see the great Ernie Kovacs and i bet he had fun in Cuba since he did love smoking cigars on his tv shows.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this one this afternoon. What a great, droll comedy-drama filled with wit and surprises and an unbeatable cast: Guinness, Burl Ives, Coward, Kovacs, Richardson, O'Hara. Smooth direction, gorgeous transfer of CinemaScope black and white elements. This little gem needs to be better known.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I watched this one this afternoon. What a great, droll comedy-drama filled with wit and surprises and an unbeatable cast: Guinness, Burl Ives, Coward, Kovacs, Richardson, O'Hara. Smooth direction, gorgeous transfer of CinemaScope black and white elements. This little gem needs to be better known.

It is a film that will last repeated viewings due to the excellence of the script and actors. ...problem is just where are the new Guinness , Ives , Coward , Kovacs and O' Hara in today's actors . Sadly nowhere .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks