What's new

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Received the boxed set a week ago. I display it with Vol. 1 on my shelf. None of the reviews mention the excellent bonus disc with lots of short films, including a 3 Stooges short, a Charlie Chase short, a couple of Mr. Magog cartoons, a Lisbon travelogue and many others. I went back and noticed that Vol 1 also had a disc which was tucked inside the box next to 3 of the UHD disc boxes. I’ll have to check the menu out to see what is included there.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Received the boxed set a week ago. I display it with Vol. 1 on my shelf. None of the reviews mention the excellent bonus disc with lots of short films, including a 3 Stooges short, a Charlie Chase short, a couple of Mr. Magog cartoons, a Lisbon travelogue and many others. I went back and noticed that Vol 1 also had a disc which was tucked inside the box next to 3 of the UHD disc boxes. I’ll have to check the menu out to see what is included there.
Nothing that exciting on the Vol1 bonus disc. It’s a DVD. A making of doc for Ghandi and a TV segment, I forget exactly what.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is the most bizarre criticism I've heard of the movie. Are you saying that without knowing, you can actually tell the age and gender of a voice artist? It must drive you nuts that Bart Simpson is voiced by a 60 year old woman. :rolleyes: Frankly I never even noticed that Mark Lester was dubbed in Oliver. It sounded perfectly natural to me.
The films that bother me are the ones in which they don’t dub for actors who clearly can’t sing. Camelot, for instance.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
On MA, it's in 4K without any HDR and in 5.1 audio.
Actually, it's HD currently on Movies Anywhere. The "4K" only indicates that you have 4K rights, and if you look below the PLAY button, you will see the disclaimer "This title is currently not supported in 4K."

I contacted Movies Anywhere, and they are aware of the issue and are working with Sony to resolve the issue.

I agree, this is a major screw up, and we seem to be seeing more of these lately.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I always thought Mark Lester did his own singing because the dub is so poor. I thought it was one of those instances in which an actor really cannot sing out, so they record the actor singing as best he or she can with little or no breath support and amplify the volume, as they did with Brando in Guys & Dolls. I get that all or most musicals pre-record the singing and dub it later, but Lester's never sounded remotely like he was actually singing in the film as most of the other actors did. If they were going to dub him with a young woman's voice (which I think is a good idea in some instances) they could have done better than they did.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I'll be the fly in the ointment. I loathe that these are exclusive bundles of movies that have nothing in common except that they're available in 4K. As much as there are certain titles I want, I'm not going to have Sony (or anyone else) tell me what I have to buy and I'm not adding anymore oversized boxes to my shelves.

Speaking only for myself, I already have Blu-rays of all but Stripes. I would gladly upgrade the five that I have if they were offered as stand-alone releases, but would that save me any money? The box set comes out to about $17 per Blu-ray. Would they be priced lower as stand-alones? Plus I am hearing good things about the bonus disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, it's HD currently on Movies Anywhere. The "4K" only indicates that you have 4K rights, and if you look below the PLAY button, you will see the disclaimer "This title is currently not supported in 4K."

I contacted Movies Anywhere, and they are aware of the issue and are working with Sony to resolve the issue.

I agree, this is a major screw up, and we seem to be seeing more of these lately.
The MA digital is now 4K with HDR.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
As much as there are certain titles I want, I'm not going to have Sony (or anyone else) tell me what I have to buy and I'm not adding anymore oversized boxes to my shelves.

There, I said it.

(Don't mind me, I'll just be sitting over here on the bitter couch)

To confirm what Chewbabka said, there is no need to store these in the box.
Columbia Classics.jpg

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
To confirm what Chewbabka said, there is no need to store these in the box.

Thank you, Richard. The space issue is actually secondary to having to buy titles I don't want in order to get what I do want, but I appreciate you letting me know about the individual cases should I ever change my mind. Thanks!

dukiejosh54

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Josh
The MA digital is now 4K with HDR.
It's good to See MA finally updated. Hopefully iTunes follows suit next, I'm a little cornered because i know sometimes iTunes doesn't update movies to 4K when you originally redeem them in MA. Itunes looks like they are using the old HD transfer as well because the overture is missing.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I always thought Mark Lester did his own singing because the dub is so poor. I thought it was one of those instances in which an actor really cannot sing out, so they record the actor singing as best he or she can with little or no breath support and amplify the volume, as they did with Brando in Guys & Dolls. I get that all or most musicals pre-record the singing and dub it later, but Lester's never sounded remotely like he was actually singing in the film as most of the other actors did. If they were going to dub him with a young woman's voice (which I think is a good idea in some instances) they could have done better than they did.
If I remember correct on the TT blu-ray Lester said he found out he had the part on Friday and started filming at Shepperton on the following Monday - I doubt there was ever an intention to use his real voice as I'm sure all the pre-records had already been done.

As I understand it the director gave his nephew a role that was singing part and said nephew said he wouldn't be singing - dubbed or not. The song "My Name" is in the overture and in the underscore when he appears ...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As I understand it the director gave his nephew a role that was singing part and said nephew said he wouldn't be singing - dubbed or not. The song "My Name" is in the overture and in the underscore when he appears ...
The elimination of "My Name" wasn't unexpected, though, since Mrs. Bumble and Mr. Sowerberry also lost their stage tunes in the transition to film. It happens often that secondary characters who have character songs lose them in the film versions (Elsa and Max in The Sound of Music; Meg Brockie in Brigadoon). I suspect Alfred Doolittle would have lost his two character songs in My Fair Lady if they weren't such showstoppers.

Patrick McCart

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I’m fine with these box sets because $20 each for six excellent quality UHD editions plus a pretty box, book, and bonus disc works out as a good deal. Even without the swag, that’s a steal.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well when will Lawrence be released? It's pure craziness to dump it in with a group of films that a lot of people aren't interested in if they are fans of that masterpiece. It would be like releasing GWTW in 4k only with the 4k Saw franchise.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well when will Lawrence be released? It's pure craziness to dump it in with a group of films that a lot of people aren't interested in if they are fans of that masterpiece. It would be like releasing GWTW in 4k only with the 4k Saw franchise.

IMHO, it isn't so much that most fans wouldn't be interested in most/all those movies at all, but most of us have varying levels/degrees of interest in them (and other catalog titles) and might not want to (re)buy some of them on 4K disc (unless perhaps at deeply discounted levels)... And some might only want some of them in 4K digital -- and fortunately, that is actually an option (at least after they fix whatever issues at which digitals storefront anyway)...

Certainly, that's true for me.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herman_tj
Recent bookmarks