What's new

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.....what's with the blown out contrast?
This is a screenshot from: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_137/nightmare_alley_blu-ray.htm

View attachment 96795

Here's the above screen-shot with the contrast tamed in Photoshop. The shadow and highlight details are still there even in a web image degraded by further compression etc.

View attachment 96807

The people who butchered The Magnificent Ambersons probably thought as you do: detail must be probably lit or it is bad for the film's presentation. Here is Robert Carringer's audio commentary for the Criterion edition of the film explaining this point. The original shots by Stanley Cortez are dark and shadowy, while the butchered shots are lit full-on with generic studio lighting that exposes much more detail. It is eerily similar to the example you use in your screenshots. But is that exposure right for the film? Clearly it's not for Ambersons. I haven't seen the Nightmare Alley Blu-ray, but given its subject matter, it most likely isn't right for it either.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I watched the Criterion yesterday. The restoration may be imperfect, but it sure looks good to me. I'm quite happy with it. The DVD had looked pretty good and I almost passed on this. Such a fascinating film, unique in some ways. I kind of wish a second commentary track had been commissioned, but the extra on sideshows is invaluable, and the interview with Coleen Gray, one of the best short actor interviews I've come across. The Criterion package comes with an unexpected and nifty extra as well--no spoilers--since it's not listed on the package, I assume it's a limited to early copies. Maybe someone else knows something about that.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've heard about Nightmare Alley for many years, and finally a few days ago got a copy of the Criterion blu-ray for $20. Watching it for the first time today it was definitely a different side of Tyrone Power. I thought it was a strong film noir, and it makes my newly revised top 10 list for 1947....

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Black Narcissus
Possessed
Nightmare Alley
Dark Passage
The Captain from Castille
Green Dolphin Street
Out of the Past
Kiss of Death
Fun and Fancy Free

The picture quality for Nightmare Alley was better than I expected, and from my pov about a B+/A- for most scenes. Once in a while it would dip down into B- territory, but having grown up watching prints in revival houses that were often dirty and scratched it mostly looked quite good. I remember my revival house, the Balboa, would sometimes advertise "Brand New 35 mm Print!," and those were usually quite good, but sometimes maybe not as new as advertised.

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to/dreading-in-a-good-way the 2021 version of Nightmare Alley from Guillermo del Toro, which is only a few weeks away. The casting seems really good for this movie, which apparently follows more closely the original novel by William Gresham. Here's the trailer....

As has already been mentioned, the special features for the 1947 Nightmare Alley are quite illuminating, and really make this disc worth the money, I think, if you like noir and haven't seen this one. One of the extra features is kind of unusual....

tarot cards nightmare alley.jpeg

The women in the 1947 version—Joan Blondell, Coleen Grey, and Helen Walker—are all really good.

Nightmare-Alley-1947-41x81-linen-backed-poster.jpeg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
One of the documentaries on the disc is a short history circus side shows from an expert. When I was a kid I went to an off-brand circus that had a side show. It was a bit haunting at times.

Anyway, this movie also reminded me a bit of the HBO show from 15+ years ago called Carnivale.

JoeStemme

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joseph
With G. Del Toro's remake about to be released, it's a fine time to look back upon the 1947 adaptation of the William L. Gresham's novel. Made during the height of the film noir movement, William Goulding's film is a great example of the darkness of that genre. Jules Furthman's screenplay cleans up some of book's passages to meet the production code (Kim Morgan's script for the new version is said to be more faithful). Still, the rise and fall of Tyrone Power's Stanton Carlisle is plenty harrowing.

Set against the worlds of carnival barkers and phony spiritualism, Stanton's path is full of shadowy turns and double-crosses. Along the way he meets up with not one, not two, but ultimately three femme fatale types (Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray and Helen Walker). The cast, Goulding's direction and the moody Lee Garmes cinematography all work here in unison. Only major quibble is that it somewhat strains credulity that rude crude carny Stanton could instantly become a suave society man.

The 1947 version holds up well. Let's await the remake.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I enjoyed the original when I saw it back (n the day (in one of those art house cinemas as part of a noir doible feature). I still enjoy it but man Del Toro’s versi0n is one of a few films that tackled the same source material and comes out with a better film (Invasion of the Body Snatchers is another by Phil Kaufman). It oooks gorgeous in 4K as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks