What's new

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.....what's with the blown out contrast?
This is a screenshot from: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_137/nightmare_alley_blu-ray.htm

View attachment 96795

Here's the above screen-shot with the contrast tamed in Photoshop. The shadow and highlight details are still there even in a web image degraded by further compression etc.

View attachment 96807

The people who butchered The Magnificent Ambersons probably thought as you do: detail must be probably lit or it is bad for the film's presentation. Here is Robert Carringer's audio commentary for the Criterion edition of the film explaining this point. The original shots by Stanley Cortez are dark and shadowy, while the butchered shots are lit full-on with generic studio lighting that exposes much more detail. It is eerily similar to the example you use in your screenshots. But is that exposure right for the film? Clearly it's not for Ambersons. I haven't seen the Nightmare Alley Blu-ray, but given its subject matter, it most likely isn't right for it either.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I watched the Criterion yesterday. The restoration may be imperfect, but it sure looks good to me. I'm quite happy with it. The DVD had looked pretty good and I almost passed on this. Such a fascinating film, unique in some ways. I kind of wish a second commentary track had been commissioned, but the extra on sideshows is invaluable, and the interview with Coleen Gray, one of the best short actor interviews I've come across. The Criterion package comes with an unexpected and nifty extra as well--no spoilers--since it's not listed on the package, I assume it's a limited to early copies. Maybe someone else knows something about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defibplusltd
Recent bookmarks