What's new

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
How do these transfers compare with the French Wild Side blu-ray box set?

Caps-a-holic has the frame grab comparisons.

I watched the 1.66 Long (96) minutes version (as "Night of the Demon" title) last night (Thurs, Oct 25). Looked great !

I do think the 1.66 Long Version looks sharper and more detailed than the 1.75 BFI Version.

From previous screen/frame-grabs on Mondo-Digital site, I was a bit concerned about the Long Versions image vs Short Versions image quality,
but,
having watched all of the Long Version as "Night of the Demon" in 1.66, I think it looks great with detail/resolution & sharpness looking top notch.

Last edited:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
@aPhil

That’s edge enhancement sharpening you are seeing, it’s fake.

Looks contrast boosted too, the 1.75:1 is much superior.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Take a look at the guys leg on the bottom right of the frame, note the 1.66:1 halo.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12489&d2=12491&s1=124052&s2=124069&i=6&l=0

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In all my days of buying movies, this day stands out. I received the Indicator Night of the Demon and the Olive Signature Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Two of my favorite movies with oodles of extras. Now which (long) version shall I watch?

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
From whom did you order and when did it ship? I ordered direct from PH and they claim they don't have international tracking. I'm in New Jersey. They said it shipped on the 16th.

I ordered from Amazon.co.UK.
When I ordered, it said projected delivery between Nov 1 - Nov 6,
so I am extremely happy to have it already.

On the other hand, several weeks after I pre-ordered "Night/Curse of the Demon",
I made another order to get the William Castle at Columbia Volume One
(also to be released by Powerhouse Indicator on the same day as Night of the Demon) from Amazon.co.UK --

Yesterday (Wednesday), the same day that I received Night of the Demon, I received a 'dispatched' notice from Amazon.co.UK for the William Castle set --
And, at present, there is no tracking number and it says projected delivery Nov 20 - 21. Whew!

I'm hoping that when it gets a tracking number that the William Castle set delivery date will change to a much (much!) earlier date.[/QUOTE]

I got mine today, the 27th!!! 817 of 10,000!! Happy Night of The Demon!!!!

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I pre-ordered this from Amazon UK; my delivery estimate as of yesterday was Nov 12, but I received it today - I’m very happy, but where does Amazon UK come up with those dates???

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Glad to see your enthusiasm. When first announced, some tried to throw shade on this release implying it was a subpar "older" transfer and that if this were a Grover Crisp approved restoration, it would have gone the Twilight Time route. Your stamp of approval indicates a superior transfer!

Columbia (Sony) released the SHORT version in the US. Mr. Crisp has done nothing to that version in terms of a restoration, which is very clear if you read this thread, that that transfer is older, which is exactly what I said if you're referring to me. The longer cut is a 2K restoration by the BFI and has nothing to do with Mr. Crisp.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I pre-ordered this from Amazon UK; my delivery estimate as of yesterday was Nov 12, but I received it today - I’m very happy, but where does Amazon UK come up with those dates???

Previous experience with the US Postal Service?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazon UK nearly always quotes me delivery dates that are 10 to 14 days beyond when it's likely to arrive. This way, they build goodwill since you feel good that they got it to you earlier than promised. In reality, it shouldn't take more than 7-10 days for any small parcel to cross the Atlantic. But with these estimates, if there's a storm, or customs delay, or some other issue, they still can claim it's "on time".

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I received this set yesterday from Amazon.UK. So far I've only watched (twice, I should add) the original UK 96 minute version on disc one. Rich blacks, gorgeous contrast, very filmic with more grain than was on the Wild Side Blu, but the grain isn't distracting in any way. It simply enhances the viewing experience. While I was very happy with the Wild Side Blu, I'd say this is much better, or rather, more film-like and also more representative of the original photography. You could frame individual images on the Indicator Blu. It's that beautiful.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do a direct comparison to the Wild Side Blu as my player is on its last legs and wouldn't load the Wild Side Blu. But I watched it a number of times over the last few years and while certainly watchable, I'd say the Indicator is more accurate. I also recall minor digital enhancements and very minor macro-blocking on the Wild Side Blu, for instance in the beginning when the professor is driving towards Karswell's estate, and the screen goes to black for brief moments, which is nowhere to be found on the Indicator. I'm relying on my memory, which may be erroneous, but this is one instance in which I'm very happy Mr. Harris convinced me to buy this through his "few words". Oh, and I stayed up to 2 AM reading the 77 page book that comes with the set, which is fascinating, informative and impossible--for me, at any rate--to put down.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
My copy arrived today from Amazon UK - took about 10 days and no card. Very excited about it and hope to watch it tonight otherwise it will be Friday night.

Regards

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My copy arrived today from Amazon UK - took about 10 days and no card. Very excited about it and hope to watch it tonight otherwise it will be Friday night.

Regards
Who did you order from? I’ve heard you have to order from Powerhouse/Indicator to get the card. That’s where I ordered and I also did not get the card.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Hi Johnny. I ordered from Amazon in the UK. Although I have ordered direct from Powerhouse/ Indicator in the past I couldn’t remember if they reduced the price by the VAT amount so I went to Amazon as they always do.

Somebody had mentioned receiving the card even from Amazon so I was hopeful but of course the main presentation is the important thing - it is very nice.

Regards

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hi Johnny. I ordered from Amazon in the UK. Although I have ordered direct from Powerhouse/ Indicator in the past I couldn’t remember if they reduced the price by the VAT amount so I went to Amazon as they always do.

Somebody had mentioned receiving the card even from Amazon so I was hopeful but of course the main presentation is the important thing - it is very nice.

Regards
Yeah, the card would be nice, but the movie is the thing. Still I was looking forward to doing some absorption tests on the card. ;)

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
How do these transfers compare with the French Wild Side blu-ray box set?

Comparing the capsaholic screen caps, the Indicator versions look somewhat blurry in comparison to the French BR. The 1.75:1 in particular doesn't look much sharper than a DVD. I don't know know if this difference in sharpness is due to the difference in the prints used for the transfers or what, but I don't think the Indicator release deserves a 5 for image quality.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
bottom line is this is a fantastic release... consider all the great options. Forget all this grainier, sharper talk, or the never ending 1:66 vs 1:75 argement...it's so minor it makes me want to scream. There's enough here to please everyone except for the sticklers who just have to rain on the parade. Way to go Indicator!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks