What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last week, and thought it looked amazing too. However once my favorite Robert Altman film is now one I no longer care for. I tried twice to get through it, and ended up quitting. I’m pretty sure the rest of his films are safe though, I recently watched Thieves Like Us’, and ‘Popeye‘ and I enjoyed them very much. Afraid to view “Brewster McCloud” again ...

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I watched it last week, and thought it looked amazing too. However once my favorite Robert Altman film is now one I no longer care for. I tried twice to get through it, and ended up quitting. I’m pretty sure the rest of his films are safe though, I recently watched Thieves Like Us’, and ‘Popeye‘ and I enjoyed them very much. Afraid to view “Brewster McCloud” again ...

I've tried “Brewster McCloud” on TCM twice....awful! Just awful!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm a huge fan of Nashville, Altman's masterpiece and easily the best American film of the 1970s (sorry The Godfather and Taxi Driver). But for some reason my gut feeling told me to skip the Criterion blu ray but I'll definitely be picking this one up!
Back in 1990, Peter Travers in Rollling Stone made a little list of essential American movies from the 1970's:

Badlands
Cabaret
Chinatown
The Godfather
The Last Picture Show
Nashville
Taxi Driver

Still holds true 30 years later.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Back in 1990, Peter Travers in Rollling Stone made a little list of essential American movies from the 1970's:

Badlands
Cabaret
Chinatown
The Godfather
The Last Picture Show
Nashville
Taxi Driver

Still holds true 30 years later.
I’ve seen all but BADLANDS, and while I agree most of them are essential, I’m not so sure about NASHVILLE.

I would also add a few titles to that list, too. Probably GODFATHER II, ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN, NETWORK, ROCKY and STAR WARS.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
There should be a distinction between great films made in the 70s and ones that are ABOUT the 70s...

- Klute
- Nashville
- The Conversation
- Night Moves
- All the President's Men
- Kramer Vs. Kramer
- The Late Show
- The Sugarland Express (story set in '69)
- Coming Home
- The China Syndrome
- The Long Goodbye
- Three Days of the Condor
- Network
- Dog Day Afternoon
- An Unmarried Woman
- Annie Hall
- Fat City
- The French Connection (story set in the 60s)
- Taxi Driver
- Looking for Mr. Goodbar

etc.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I saw NASHVILLE with Altman in the audience at the Austin 1999 Film Fest.
It just seems like one of the greatest American films ever made.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Wow. Thia is one of the few films that truly does get better every time, and I have been watching it since 1989 every few years. The new BluRay looks a hell of a lot better than it has in the past. It isn't perfect, but it is nice to see that Hal Philip Walkers logo has GREEN in it. I also don't miss the grain storm, which has always seemed unusually high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks