What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The opening title sequence of MFL is one of my all time favorites so the fact that the original elements no longer exist mean I'll never see it again as originally shown and as I saw it in my initial viewings. God knows what else is lost.
Peter Menefee in his interview talks about going to meet George Cukor for a small part in the film. The man in the gate points him in the direction of the sound stage and he walks in and suddenly finds himself in the magnificence of the Covent Garden set.
He asks where Cukor is, is pointed in his direction and finds Cukor sitting in a circle with the entire cast doing a reading of the screenplay. Certainly an extraordinary moment. Cukor chooses him to be one of the costermongers so he ends up in Wouldn't it Be Loverly and the reprise when Eliza returns to Covent Garden. This by way of playing Harvey Johnson in the film of Bye Bye Birdie. And in between he finds himself in a movie based on the Mary Poppins stories which he had never even heard of. Just another summer job to make some money.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If you have the 50th anniversary Blu-ray it does. I have both. At first with the 4K I thought you saw too much but now it's the one I watch.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I can't explain it really. No it's not more colorful and when I first watched it I was shocked to see all the wigs and make up more clearly. Disconcerting and something you would not have seen in a movie theater with distance. I recommend you reading Robert Harris's review of the 4k. He probably knows the film better than anyone alive and raved about the 4k. It grows on you, you forget the wigs and make-up and it becomes even more compelling.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ah- I just came across why it’s Eliza Doolittle Day- in the Just You Wait, ‘Enry
‘Iggins number.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I can't explain it really. No it's not more colorful and when I first watched it I was shocked to see all the wigs and make up more clearly. Disconcerting and something you would not have seen in a movie theater with distance. I recommend you reading Robert Harris's review of the 4k. He probably knows the film better than anyone alive and raved about the 4k. It grows on you, you forget the wigs and make-up and it becomes even more compelling.
With respect, if you are "seeing all the wigs and make up' at not much else, perhaps it is time to check your settings.
Spears & Munsil have just release a new test disc which is highly recommendable.
The 4k My fair Lady is very fair indeed .
A reference disc for both PQ and SQ

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I said you do forget the wigs and makeup and the film becomes even more spectacular. When I first saw HD TV in a store all I saw were pores. A friend said you get used to it. I have.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As I said you do forget the wigs and makeup and the film becomes even more spectacular. When I first saw HD TV in a store all I saw were pores. A friend said you get used to it. I have.

It's like seeing the wires holding the Martian saucers in The War of the Worlds, or the wire holding Arnie has he gets thrown off the truck toward the end of Terminator 2. It's something of a surprise the first time, but the effect fades over re-watches.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's like seeing the wires holding the Martian saucers in The War of the Worlds, or the wire holding Arnie has he gets thrown off the truck toward the end of Terminator 2. It's something of a surprise the first time, but the effect fades over re-watches.
There should be nothing in MFL that appears awkward or unusual in 4k. A few of the hairpieces always looked odd. There are no tech problems in the original photography. A few attributes were fixed that were a bit too highly resolved derived from the 8k scan, but if anything appears odd, it’s a playback problem.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Did they get rid of Gene Allen's shadow in the final scene? I haven't seen it in a while but the last time I don't think I noticed it or I just wasn't paying attention. Or I got used to it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Did they get rid of Gene Allen's shadow in the final scene? I haven't seen it in a while but the last time I don't think I noticed it or I just wasn't paying attention. Or I got used to it.
You got used to it. It was Gene’s guest appearance, a bit like mine in Lawrence.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from tonight's Fathom Event. They showed it in scope which I presume was how most theaters saw it in theaters during the general release. There was less head room in some shots that I was used to which is probably expected since they would have had to crop it from 2.2:1.

Picture and sound quality was solid. I paid specific attention to the Ascot sequence for any signs of the greyscale calibration problems I saw during last week's Wizard of Oz screening. I saw no signs of greyscale calibration errors tonight but I did notice that they only people wearing actual color during the sequence were Higgins who was wearing a brown tweed suit with a red handkerchief in his breast pocket, Eliza who was wearing a black and white dress with red bows and pink and yellow flowers, and Pickering who had a brown binocular case over his shoulder.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
In both MFL and SOM the color palettes are extremely subdued. That makes them no less beautiful to watch. In comparison the '61 WSS which takes place in a grey Manhattan of tenements is practically a riot of color.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just got back from tonight's Fathom Event.
I saw it too. I've never seen it on the big screen before and it was a great experience to be able to do so.

How was the attendance at your screening? I went with a friend. There were maybe five or six other people besides us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale