What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Murnau, Borzage and Fox - Preview (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This HUGE set arrived the other day, and it is quite the treasure.

What great fun to get this AND the Lawrence of Arabia collector's set within a few weeks of each other. Man, it's almost like the good old days of really great, hefty, amazingly designed collectible records, laserdiscs, etc.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with others re the physical packaging: the design concept is wonderful but its execution was flawed in a few ways. Not that that's unique to this set -- not by any means -- many LD, DVD and BLU designs, to this day, suffer from one hand not telling the other what size things should be, how discs and pamphlets or books should be stored, how a user will expect to handle things, etc. etc. etc. Fortunately, the two books within, the master book holding those books and the DVDs, and the two-part master box itself -- all are magnificent to hold and to behold. Really -- truly magnificent, and worthy of their subjects. Would that more concepts along these lines might have been imagined and implemented over the years.

I've had a brief look at all 12 discs, just to run my eye over the contents and (unfortunately) check for damage. Happily, all is well, and I've come to a certain peace with how to handle the goods so they enjoy a long and happy life in my collection. (If all of this sounds cryptic, I'm just being lazy. Run your eye over Amazon user comments -- there aren't too many, and for the most part, the ones on this item aren't the usual ranting and whining). What I really want to say is that, for $137 (which is still Amazon's price, and remember that it started at $239 and has been $181 for the longest time), this is extraordinary value, and I'm thrilled to finally have the pleasure of being able to watch, read, and enjoy.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I recently discovered the silent film star Charles Farrell while watching the Kino Blu-ray of Old Ironsides, and decided I need to see more of him. He apparently teamed with director Frank Borzage quite frequently. Most of the French Carlotta Blu-rays of Borzage's silent movies are out-of-print now. Anyway I found that Street Angel is available for HD digital purchase and much to my surprise I found out the version on the Movies Anywhere app is completely restored by MOMA and looks fantastic (unlike the version on iTunes, Vudu and Amazon which is the old DVD transfer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks