What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Murders in the Rue Morgue, as directed by Robert Florey, was a February 1932 release, which places its production in 1931.

Let's put things in historical perspective at Universal at the time.

Dracula was shot in 1930, and released in February of 1931.

Frankenstein would have been produced shortly thereafter, and was released in November of 1931.

Rue Morgue was shot by the great Karl Freund, as was Dracula. Frankenstein by Arthur Edeson.

Technically, it seems that the timeline enabled Rue Morgue to be released in 1.37, while the two earlier films were the early sound 1.20.

The three films fall into running times between 61 and 75 minutes, short by today's standards.

Rue Morgue is a film worthy of your attention, but the cherry on top is the overall quality of Scream Factory's release. The German expressionistic sets stand out, helped along by gorgeous cinematography, herein beautifully reproduced. Overall resolution, black levels, shadow detail - everything is in its proper place, for a magnificent presentation.

No apes were harming in the production of this film. However, the ape suit was apparently reused in an episode of Whirlybirds (1957).

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No apes were harming in the production of this film. However, the ape suit was reused in an episode of Whirlybirds (1957).
Oh my freekin’ god, I remember Whirlybirds, don’t remember the ape episode.

When I first saw the film, I had a hard time wrapping it around my head that the the young prostitute who is killed in Murders and the panelist on What's My Line? were one and the same!
Which panelist?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
But seriously folks. :)

The ever lovely Arlene Francis (Mrs. Martin Gabel) of course!

arlene.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
At first I thought this was Mystery of the Wax Museum and got excited, but I look forward to seeing this one too.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Very enjoyable, and this nearly 90-year-old movie looks remarkably good. Leon Ames (credited here as Leon Waycoff) later played the father in Meet Me In St. Louis, and that performance led to better parts for him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched this tonight. The sets and cinematography were excellent. I also enjoy the performances of the lovely Sidney Fox and intrigued with the wonderful actor Leon Ames. Of course Lugosi was just excellent.
Yesterday, I watched Gene Wilder/Young Frankenstein, I mean Leon Ames in this pre-code movie. I was disappointed, maybe, because my expectations were higher than they should be based on this film's reputation. Anyhow, I guess the chimp's close ups for an ape didn't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks