What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Featuring a cast of known actors, and directed by Sidney Lumet, this version of the Agatha Christie classic is a great deal of fun.

Paramount has released a domestic Blu-ray, and it's quite nice. Nothing extraordinary, but it more than covers the bases.

Color, densities are fine. Grain structure is comfortable, with the exception of the main title sequence, where they ain't none.

Image – 4

Audio – 4.5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Up-rez to 4k - Nice

Recommended

RAH

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Unfortunately Geoffrey got sucked in by the soft-focus filtering craze that blighted certain films from that era. Murder is definitely hazy but The Day of the Locust is probably the foggiest of the lot.
All of that thanks (?) to the popularity of the soft-focus, naked adolescent girl photos from the late 60’s-early 70’s by David Hamilton. The “Hamilton Blur" was imitated by Playboy and prominent film makers. Hamilton ended his life when he was sued by a number of those formerly adolescent models.

25426_19.jpg

25426_11.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Watched this disc last night. Excellent film, as remembered from its original release. Finney never fails to amaze me. He was 38 in this, and I believe the false nose is the only prosthetic. The rest is, as they say, the physical part of the actor's art.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I presume that this is from the same source as the Studio Canal version released in Australia a few years ago. Apart from the intentional soft focus it looks quite nice. Certainly a worthwhile purchase.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I presume that this is from the same source as the Studio Canal version released in Australia a few years ago.

It is not, Ken. It's discussed at length in this thread:

Discussion of the new transfer begins at post #64, FYI.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched this last night, and while I do not have the earlier blu-ray for comparison, I thought this looked great. The outdoor scenery was breathtaking in places.

What confuses me is that this, like Foul Play, Heaven Can Wait, Reds and others, is a Paramount release but is not part of the Paramount Presents series. I can't figure out what Paramount Presents is for, and what the criteria are for inclusion in that series.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I watched this last night, and while I do not have the earlier blu-ray for comparison, I thought this looked great. The outdoor scenery was breathtaking in places.

What confuses me is that this, like Foul Play, Heaven Can Wait, Reds and others, is a Paramount release but is not part of the Paramount Presents series. I can't figure out what Paramount Presents is for, and what the criteria are for inclusion in that series.
Which is really strange , since all the films you mention were massive commercial and critical successes.

For example, why was "Ragtime" a Paramount Presents title, yet "Reds" from the same year (1981), and which had more critical praise and commercial success, in addition to winning several Oscars, was just a regular old Paramount titl ?

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. That's a political subject, and what we're discussing here is the cinematic artistry of ,as well as the critical and commercial reception to the film "Reds" (in addition to other films). Apples and oranges....

BTW- Have you ever actually SEEN "Reds" ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
No. I'm not a fan of Warren Beatty or Diane Keaton. But reading the basic premise doesn't sound like 4 hours of fun.
To me Warren Beatty has always had the narcissism and lackluster acting talent of Jerry Lewis - without the comedy.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I saw it when it first came out and was an "Oscar" contender. I thought it was a bad movie, severely misjudged. All those elderly people commenting made it like a TV documentary. The only sequence I admired was the mob storming the building. I thought that scene was done really well.

I have no objection to the politics, if any, of the movie but I've never wanted to see it a second time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. That's a political subject, and what we're discussing here is the cinematic artistry of ,as well as the critical and commercial reception to the film "Reds" (in addition to other films). Apples and oranges....

Yup. Very good film that I’m glad to have on Blu-ray.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
No. I'm not a fan of Warren Beatty or Diane Keaton. But reading the basic premise doesn't sound like 4 hours of fun.
To me Warren Beatty has always had the narcissism and lackluster acting talent of Jerry Lewis - without the comedy.
That's fine. But since you haven't seen it, then you can't really comment what you believe MIGHT be the message of the film, or it's political stance, much less it's artistic quality

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...and it has certain advantages over the broadcast master recently used by TCM such as the absence of flash frames. (This appeared late in the film in an important flashback scene between Richard Widmark and Anthony Perkins). It was kind of cool that if they had to do it, they at least used the font from the poster. :)
PXL_20211231_152045497._exported_891_1640964221282.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks