What's new

A few words about…™ Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Manhattanites in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Houses are, early on, referenced as "cliff dwellers," and as a hater of Manhattan Island in its current state, I get that.

Mr. Blandings wanted out.

First thing to hit the screen is one of my favorite logos, Selznick Releasing - nice to see it again, and not RKO.

Blandings, starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas is a film that's easy to love, and as far as I can tell this release from Warner Archive is produced from the finest surviving materials. What I'm not seeing is perfection.

Which leads me to believe that a fine grain may have been accessed, with baked in timing, as many shots, especially in the opening sequence go far to heavy, and then bounce back with the following shot to something more normal.

Not a deal-breaker by any means, but the problem is there.

Audio is fine.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
First thing to hit the screen is one of my favorite logos, Selznick Releasing - nice to see it again, and not RKO.

Blandings, starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas is a film that's easy to love, and as far as I can tell this release from Warner Archive is produced from the finest surviving materials. What I'm not seeing is perfection.

Which leads me to believe that a fine grain may have been accessed, with baked in timing, as many shots, especially in the opening sequence go far to heavy, and then bounce back with the following shot to something more normal.

Not a deal-breaker by any means, but the problem is there.

Audio is fine.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
Some people here might disagree with you about that Selznick vs. RKO logo. :) I have the iTunes HD digital, but I'm looking forward to this upcoming BD because there is little doubt it's going to surpass the video presentation of that HD digital that is derived from an older transfer.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
It's my favorite logo as well. I like the music too, which I'm assuming was composed by Max Steiner. In fact, I'm considering refiling my Blu-Ray collection by Studio logo. That way I can watch the alterations, as we go from the 1930's to the 50's. One question though, is this Selznick International, the original name on the logo, or the Selznick Studio? Not that would alter my plans to buy this disc. In additiion to the first 20 seconds, there's other aspects to this film that interest me, for instance, the building plans underneath the credits. That's almost three minutes of cinematic treasure.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Though I knew of the movie, I never saw it until I watched the BD yesterday.

What a delightful little flick!

It's predictable in many ways, of course, but it plays with such wit and panache that its potentially trite elements never become a problem.

Just 94 minutes of charm and fun!

And I also think it's another winner from Warner Archives.

Sometimes I wonder why we bother to review their titles, as WA never seems to screw the proverbial pooch - they're pretty much money in the bank!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I was wondering how you got the disc so early as it’s not going to be available until May 18th. So then I realized you must have a review copy.

I can’t wait to see this disc.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Note where I live.

Jim Blandings: What about the windows?

Simms: I'm afraid there's been a little slip up. These windows seem to belong to a Mr. Landing in Fishkill. I spoke to him on the phone this morning.

Jim Blandings: Well, has he got mine?

Simms: No, he seems to have the windows that belong to a Mr. Blandworth in Peekskill.

Jim Blandings: Where are *my* windows?

Simms: Well, near as we can find out, they've either been sent to a Mr. Banning in Danbury, or a Mr. Bamburger in Waterbury.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Note where I live.

Jim Blandings: What about the windows?

Simms: I'm afraid there's been a little slip up. These windows seem to belong to a Mr. Landing in Fishkill. I spoke to him on the phone this morning.

Jim Blandings: Well, has he got mine?

Simms: No, he seems to have the windows that belong to a Mr. Blandworth in Peekskill.

Jim Blandings: Where are *my* windows?

Simms: Well, near as we can find out, they've either been sent to a Mr. Banning in Danbury, or a Mr. Bamburger in Waterbury.
... And that was before computers ...
computer GIF
;)!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's my favorite logo as well. I like the music too, which I'm assuming was composed by Max Steiner. In fact, I'm considering refiling my Blu-Ray collection by Studio logo. That way I can watch the alterations, as we go from the 1930's to the 50's. One question though, is this Selznick International, the original name on the logo, or the Selznick Studio? Not that would alter my plans to buy this disc. In additiion to the first 20 seconds, there's other aspects to this film that interest me, for instance, the building plans underneath the credits. That's almost three minutes of cinematic treasure.
The trailer for the film on the Warner Archive site says "A Selznick Release." The fanfare with sign is the Selznick International Theme (Same As GWTW). It looked like an original trailer but it ends with the line re released by RKO Radio Pictures. Not sure if that helps.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross

Alfred Newman wrote the music for the Selznick logo, according to liner notes with the Charles Gerhardt RCA recording of "Gone with the Wind."
I wasn't sure if it was Alfred Newman or Max Steiner. I forgot Alfred Newman was Selznick's composer of choice before Steiner. I love that fanfare in conjunction with that classical facade, the trees on the edges of the frame. Call me eccentric, but I find the combination of the music and image relaxing. You're about to be taken to a place of dreams, beyond one's wildest schemes. It's also possible I have a special fondness for that logo as it preceded many of my favorite films as a child. Sometimes when I can't sleep, I watch the Selznick international logo, both in color and black & white. And sometimes, often, in fact, I end up watching the film that follows it, and stay up till dawn. But that's ok.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I watched this film a lot when I first discovered it 20ish years ago, so it has been on the back burner awhile.
What a gem. It holds up so well, is still relevant, and very funny. You walk away with a bag of quotables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glasses Freek
Recent bookmarks