What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moonrise Kingdom -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
bugsy-pal said:
Yes, that's the attitude... poor old Wes seems to cop the vitriol all the time from narrow-minded people with preconceived ideas of what cinema should be, and those who appreciate Wes also get a serve of it. I suspect the dissers aren't getting that the films are supposed to be funny and witty and visually arresting...
That's not a good argument, I'm afraid but it's kind of typical, though and very unfair - to say that those who don't like these films aren't "getting" them. Believe me, they get them, they just don't like them and that's just as valid an opinion as the "likers". I, for example, completely get what Mr. Anderson does and goes for and yet - I don't like his films. Oh, well. Moonrise Kingdom gives arch a whole new meaning and the archness precluded me from any kind of involvement - and that's a problem for me. It's quirky, it's visually amusing, I like all the actors, but in the end it seems longer than Lincoln to me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bugsy-pal /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4012988
Yes, that's the attitude... poor old Wes seems to cop the vitriol all the time from narrow-minded people with preconceived ideas of what cinema should be, and those who appreciate Wes also get a serve of it. I suspect the dissers aren't getting that the films are supposed to be funny and witty and visually arresting...

No, I "get" what Anderson wants to do. As I've mentioned, I've liked some earlier Anderson efforts, so I understand his style and comprehend his aims for "MK".

I just don't think it works. It's possible for someone to "get" a movie and not like it, isn't it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/325914/a-few-words-about-moonrise-kingdom-in-blu-ray#post_4013133
That's not a good argument, I'm afraid but it's kind of typical, though and very unfair - to say that those who don't like these films aren't "getting" them. Believe me, they get them, they just don't like them and that's just as valid an opinion as the "likers". I, for example, completely get what Mr. Anderson does and goes for and yet - I don't like his films. Oh, well. Moonrise Kingdom gives arch a whole new meaning and the archness precluded me from any kind of involvement - and that's a problem for me. It's quirky, it's visually amusing, I like all the actors, but in the end it seems longer than Lincoln to me.
Presume you're aware that parts two and three have already been shot in NZ, and are currently in post. An extended edition should be announced early next year.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert Harris said:
Presume you're aware that parts two and three have already been shot in NZ, and are currently in post.  An extended edition should be announced early next year.
:laugh:

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
haineshisway said:
Perhaps I went too far in my comment - I was just reacting to the implication that folks who liked the movie were somehow braindead. It seems that the unreasonable comments come from both sides of the opinion spectrum. What I don't get is the level of vitriol directed at Wes Anderson, here and elsewhere
Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy! :)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Moonrise Kingdom is probably my favorite film of 2012. It's the most perfect realization yet of Wes Anderson's aesthetic. The lead actors are phenomenal, and New Penzance is a dream brought to life. For me, it's a nearly perfect film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks